Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 30th, 2015, 1:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Finished off most of the Pacific Pellets I had when i got the Yoder. After tons of research and checking the web, i purchased pure hickory pellets from Cookinpellets.com. Seems that most pellets are either a mix of woods or have flavored oils added.
The pacific pellets are a mix of hickory and alder, and these are supposed to be 100% hickory.

Chicken on in a bit. Looking forward to this!

Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 3
Superior Smoker SS1
Stoker Wifi
StokerX

Past (UDS, WSM, LBGE, Big Joe)
https://twitter.com/thepittemp
May 30th, 2015, 2:06 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Update:
Up to temp faster. not exactly sure why. Using H1. Much more blue smoke then previous pellets.

Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 3
Superior Smoker SS1
Stoker Wifi
StokerX

May 30th, 2015, 5:25 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I guess its all personal preference. I've used the Pacific Pellets and thought the ash content was a little high and the flavor a little low. I've also used the cookingpellets and pretty much thought the same thing. I would probably put both of them down towards the middle of the pack. For me Lumberjack is the way to go, followed closely by BBQ delight.

I will say very important when judging to make sure you use the same pellets ie HICKORY vs HICKORY. In the end even the same pellets can taste different from cook to cook depending on the protein, seasonings and even how well the cook went. Once again preference plays a part and nobody is really right. I like the blends from Lumberjack but others like the strong taste of Mesquite or Hickory.

May 30th, 2015, 9:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

well the result is in and wow, quite the difference between these two pellets. In my unprofessional opinion, and non-scientific evaluation, the chicken tastes smokier.

Didn't try the weight test on the pellets but it ran for 8 hours...
paid .90$ a lb and used 13 lbs in about 8 hours, so using my elementary math, and removing my shoes to use my toes, i think it burned 1.61 lbs an hour @250 degrees.roughly $12 to cook it? IIRC, running my stumps is about $1 or so an hour.
interesting. love testing this stuff.

Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 3
Superior Smoker SS1
Stoker Wifi
StokerX

May 31st, 2015, 11:43 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hmm, interesting. Cannot really say my test was as scientific as yours but might have to try some again just to see if I still feel the same. I also cannot remember paying that much. I pay about .50 a pound for the lumberjack and thought the cooking pellets and the Pacific pellets were close in price but knew the cooking pellets were a little more.

Thanks for the breakdown....might do the same with the lumberjacks on my next long cook.

June 3rd, 2015, 6:31 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Wish I could get LJ for .50 a lb, I pay .85 not tax in Vegas from a local place.

Return to Pellet