Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 28th, 2015, 10:31 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Alright people,

I am one of those guys who researches everything and I'm kinda tight with my money. I have cooked with propane and an offset smoker for years. We recently moved to a new house and I don't want the back yard cluttered with 3 different grills anymore. Can the 640 offer me all of what my other grills did and do a great job? I have no doubt that it does good work from all the reviews but can it really cook a steak similar to a seared propane/charcoal grill? Also will it produce the same smoke ring and taste as an offset? I have my eyes on the 640 or getting a custom offset with propane being added to it for the grilling aspect and having a all in one cooking system.

Also can anyone tell me how they do down here in the Houston area with the elements. I live south of Houston so the rust factor could be a big issue with the moving parts.

Any advice anyone could give would be great. If i'm going to spend 1500 I'd like it to last and really be happy with it for quite awhile.

Thanks

May 28th, 2015, 1:37 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok, I'll go first. The 640 does EVERYTHING I need it to. Anything that needs to be low and slow (ribs, brisket, pulled pork, chicken, etc) it works perfectly. I also use the 640 for steaks, burgers, chicken breasts and beyond. (anything that needs to go fast and furious.) The flavor from the wood is as close to heaven as I can imagine. I do use grill grates for direct grilling so I do get great sear marks which up to that point I thought was merely a photoshop trick. I will never buy another grill or smoker again. My propane grill died last year and it seems like that happens every 2-3 years for most folks. Spend the money, get what you pay for, a kick ass product that will never disappoint you. The smoke rings are pretty deep (at least 1/4") for me and more importantly, the flavor is there. I can speak to the elements, I keep mine covered and in the garage until it's time to cook. The unit is built like a tank. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. I can't imagine not having it. Hope this helps.

Return to Pellet