Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 3rd, 2015, 1:35 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi All,

I just put together an inverter/battery setup for my YS640 for competitions. I went cheap as my budget is pretty tapped out at this point and got an Everstart Deep Cycle battery and a 410 watt inverter from Wally World. I'll upgrade as budget allows.

Unless, of course, Herb just wants to trade me straight up for his (I'll make the drive, no worries.) :)

I've read on here that the YS640 draws 200w during start up, then 20w thereafter. I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the startup so the battery doesn't have to heat up the glow rod and hopefully will last longer.

What happens if I manually light the pellets, then turn the unit on? Also, is there a procedure written up somewhere to manually light the pellets?

Thanks much,

-Bret

Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Let the Big Hog Eat!
Yoder YS640
May 3rd, 2015, 1:50 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

There is nothing wrong with disconnecting the igniter at the wire connecter and starting it manually. I would do the same at a comp. Put a handful of pellets in a clean burn grate in the cooker, turn the cooker on as you normally would, set your temp and then light the pellets. Most people use a small torch. Once the pellets are burning and you have established a small flame, reassemble the cooker and use as you normally would. The procedure is in the owners manual.

May 3rd, 2015, 11:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks Kirby. I didn't get the manual with my smoker, but I saw today that it's on the web site. I've downloaded it now. Thanks very much for the response and the information.

-Bret

Hackers -n- Hogs Competition BBQ Team
Let the Big Hog Eat!
Yoder YS640
May 6th, 2015, 5:17 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have started using Everstart batteries in all my stuff. I keep the receipt in my glove box. If they fail you can find a Wal-Mart close to anywhere. So far I have had good luck with them.

Return to Pellet