Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 26th, 2015, 1:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I would like to add probe ports to my 640. I typically run 4 cables (2 Maverick 732 and 2 Thermoworks K-thermocouples). I have them going through the chimney now. Do I have to worry about smoke piling out of the probe ports? Any way to plug them?

I saw the instructions for placing and installing the probe port, but what parts do I use? It looks like a wire grommet; anybody have a part number I can order from Amazon or Mouser? How many probe cables can fit through one of those and will a Thermoworks probe fit through?

Also, do guys leave the probes in the smoker between cooks or do you take them out for cleaning?

January 26th, 2015, 2:56 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

You can purchase the probe port here: http://www.atbbq.com/store/show/pellet-probe-port.html

You can tighten the probe port from the outside, which will squeeze down the opening to close it off or fit tightly around the probe wires. You can also remove the insert if you need more room for more probes. Don't worry about smoke leaking, the port won't affect the cooker.

I can't answer the question about leaving probes in the cooker, as I do not use external probes, just a quick read thermapen to check the meat when needed.

Yoder_Herb
January 26th, 2015, 3:36 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

In the rare occasion that I use a probe, I have left them in sometimes in the past either because the next planned cook needed them too, or sheer laziness because I was putting the cooker away late at night (usually the reason). It has not affected the probes as far as I can tell. But 95% of the time, my cooker runs without probes and I use a Thermapen for final temp readings.

Return to Pellet