Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 27th, 2014, 1:52 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi Guys,
I have had a few of our Aussie customers ask me, "Is a water pan necessary in a YS480 or YS640" while cooking Low & Slow.

Just interested in your opinion & the reasons behind it.

Thanks, Dave

Exclusive importer of Yoder Smokers into Australia & New Zealand
Instagram: @grill_pro
November 27th, 2014, 11:26 am
Site AdminSite Admin

A water pan is not necessary in any of the Yoder cookers. The idea behind using a water pan is to keep moisture in the cooker, to potentially help keep the meat from drying out, by adding steam into the cooking environment. I have tested this theory myself, with and without a water pan, and have found that it makes no difference in a Yoder cooker. By all means, if you want to use a water pan, do so. In most cases, they take up so much real estate in the cooker, force you to crowd things together, or only cook on the top shelf.

The other reason for a water pan, is to even out the heat in a cooker. But the water pan is usually designed into the cooker, and is an integral part of the cooker, right above the heat source.

Yoder_Herb
November 27th, 2014, 12:14 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I've been cooking without a water pan added to a cooker for years, and my end result is always moist and tender. I used to use one when I started barbecue because I was in the "try everything" phase to see what really did and didn't help the end result. I have found the only thing to help the end result and juiciness of the product is experience and knowing when to take a cut of meat off of the cooker. I generally adhere to the "KISS/less is more" theory of barbecue.

But, the wonderful thing about barbecue is cook what you like, how you like it. If you feel your results are better with a water pan, or slathering something in 15 different sauces and foiling for half the cook, go for it. But I find my favorite results are when I cook something old school; simple S&P rub, smoke, no foil (or for a very short time if needed), cook until tender and rest. I can't stay away from the food if I cook it that way.

Return to Pellet