Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 22nd, 2014, 11:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a 480, and I'm fighting a continuous problem of the pellets in the augar catching on fire. The fire then backs up into the hopper.

Any suggestions on how to stop this?

Thank you

November 23rd, 2014, 1:12 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Hopper fires are rare if a cooker is up to date with current revisions of firmware and hard parts, and if the cooker is maintained and cleaned properly.

The number one reason for a hopper fire, is that the burn grate fitment into the firebox is not correct. The burn grate MUST fit correctly in the firebox to work correctly.

Secondly, the silicone seals around the firebox must be intact and in good condition.

Thirdly, both of the internal fans must be working for the cooker to function properly.

Here is a link to the current cooker manuals which will outline the required maintenance and care for your cooker: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153 click the link for your model.

Also, here is a link that you should also review: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/What%20to%20do%20in%20case%20of%20a%20hopper%20fire.pdf

Yoder_Herb
November 23rd, 2014, 3:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Hopper fires are rare if a cooker is up to date with current revisions of firmware and hard parts, and if the cooker is maintained and cleaned properly.

The number one reason for a hopper fire, is that the burn grate fitment into the firebox is not correct. The burn grate MUST fit correctly in the firebox to work correctly.

Secondly, the silicone seals around the firebox must be intact and in good condition.

Thirdly, both of the internal fans must be working for the cooker to function properly.

Here is a link to the current cooker manuals which will outline the required maintenance and care for your cooker: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=153 click the link for your model.

Also, here is a link that you should also review: download/Best%20Practice%20and%20how%20to/What%20to%20do%20in%20case%20of%20a%20hopper%20fire.pdf

I've replaced the silicon seal with the recommended permatex rtv.

The burn grate will not contact the right side flush and be almost touching the hopper side wall. If I position the burn grate to be close to the hopper side wall, it is elevated on the right side towards the smoke stack.

I don't understand the comment about two fans. I've pulled the panel off the left side of the grill and I can only see one fan connected to the fan housing. The smoker is 3+ years old, serial number 11639.

I'm still having smoke come back into the pellet hopper.

November 23rd, 2014, 4:22 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Your cooker is not up to date with the latest firmware and hard parts.

Send an email to customerservice@yodersmokers.com with the following information:

Serial number and build date from the door plate.

Firmware revision number (displays for 2 seconds after you turn the cooker on).

Where you purchased the cooker from and the date you purchased it.

Your full name and shipping address.

Your phone number.

Your email address.

Include an explanation of the problem and what you have done so far to correct the problem.

We will get you setup with the proper parts and firmware to get your cooker up to the current revisions.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet