Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 18th, 2014, 10:39 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I see a lot of info and issues with foil on the heat diffuser. Is it best to not use foil at all? What are the reasons to use foil other than to make cleanup easier?

I just received my YS640 last week. I am new to bbq totally and this is my first grill of any kind.

Any other tips anyone can think of please let me know. I have read as much info as I can and am getting ready to start cooking soon.

November 18th, 2014, 11:55 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Foil is to make clean-up easier, that's pretty much all. It works just fine as long as the foil is tight in ALL places on the diffuser, INCLUDING the underside of the diffuser. If foil is loose or hanging under the diffuser, it will disturb the airflow and potentially cause some unevenness in temperature. If yours is working fine with foil, keep using it. If you are having some temp evenness issues, try without foil and see if that helps.

Give yourself time to learn the YS640. Pellet grills are different than any other type of grill you've used before. You will love the YS640, it's an excellent cooker.

November 20th, 2014, 3:50 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I took the foil off of mine after the first cook. I thought I had it on tight but after the cook I noticed that, sure enough, some of it got a bit loose and was blocking airflow. Yikes, off it went. For cleanup I just use a large putty knife. Takes 2 seconds to get the gunk off.

Return to Pellet