Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 1st, 2014, 6:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Can someone tell me what is the normal amount of pellets are used per hour? Today I cooked a brilets @ 270 for about 8 hours and used over 30 lbs. It is 45 degrees outside. I have my YS 640 in the garage with the door open. If this is not normal, any ideas on hour to reduce the usage?

November 1st, 2014, 7:55 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I had the exact same experience with my 640 when I first got it about 2 months ago. Here's some things to keep in mind:

That lid has got to be completely closed. I was using a remote thermometer with 2 probes and, as thin as those cables are, they do indeed create enough of a gap to increase the airflow and allow heat to escape - making the grill work harder. If you've got a windy day, the problem is worse.

Are you wrapping your heat diffuser with foil? If so, make sure that the foil is very tightly wrapped on the front and back edges (as you stand facing the pit) so that it's not in any way obstructing the gaps. My foil installation was terrible and looking closely I realized that there was a lot of blockage by the foil.

Those two things solved my excessive pellet usage. I had, in fact, the same outside temp as you did and also did a brisket for 8hrs or so on my first cook. I went through 30lbs of pellets as well. Insane. The next cook I got rid of the thermometer and the foil. Major difference.

The next thing I did was buy the thermal jacket. That reduced my (normal) pellet consumption by almost half. It was a major difference.

November 5th, 2014, 12:31 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

The classic welders blanket and a movers blanket works wonders. Can't give you exact numbers. Buy both cheap at Harbor Freight and toss over the top, don't block the small side vents on the front of the pellet box.

It also depends on the brands of pellets you use, they can make a difference.

A pellet smoker uses pellets. We pay for the convenience of sleep on a long cook and sometimes you just have to accept that. I did 4 pork butts at 13 hours, and used over 20 lbs. I started at 8 PM, it got to 59f at night. Used my listed above items. It helps.

November 5th, 2014, 1:22 am
* Durnago ** Durnago *

If you do the above, make sure the movers blanket doesn't contact the cooker. Don't ask me how I know, but I learned that lesson a long time ago on a bygone pit.

Or for the best fit and easiest use, the Yoder thermal cover works great. I know it's not cheap, but it works very well and will be around as long as your cooker. Plus it's much easier to use without having to move a blanket around all of the time and worrying about the blanket being displaced by wind gusts.

November 16th, 2014, 10:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Scott wrote:I had the exact same experience with my 640 when I first got it about 2 months ago. Here's some things to keep in mind:

That lid has got to be completely closed. I was using a remote thermometer with 2 probes and, as thin as those cables are, they do indeed create enough of a gap to increase the airflow and allow heat to escape - making the grill work harder. If you've got a windy day, the problem is worse.

Are you wrapping your heat diffuser with foil? If so, make sure that the foil is very tightly wrapped on the front and back edges (as you stand facing the pit) so that it's not in any way obstructing the gaps. My foil installation was terrible and looking closely I realized that there was a lot of blockage by the foil.

Those two things solved my excessive pellet usage. I had, in fact, the same outside temp as you did and also did a brisket for 8hrs or so on my first cook. I went through 30lbs of pellets as well. Insane. The next cook I got rid of the thermometer and the foil. Major difference.

The next thing I did was buy the thermal jacket. That reduced my (normal) pellet consumption by almost half. It was a major difference.

Thanks for the info! I did have 2 probe cables running under the lid.

November 16th, 2014, 6:55 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Hey RandyMan let us know if it gets any better for you! I don't think my experience is unique but would be good to get as many stories on here as possible. I'm going to actually be ordering the probe ports and drilling a couple of holes. I'm finding that I want to get back to using my remote Maverick probe unit because it's just WAY too convenient, but don't want to compromise the lid seal.

Return to Pellet