Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Got a 2.5 pound skin on filet of Faroe Island Salmon from my fish guy.....

Mixed up 1/2 Cup Kosher Salt, 2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar, and a teaspoon of black pepper.

Liberally covered the Filet on both sides and put on a plate skin side down, covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for 4 hours.

Took it out and thoroughly washed the coating off. Dried the fish, put it back in the Fridge uncovered for 4 hours.

Preheated the smoker to 225. Coated the skin with a Light Olive Oil and put it on the top shelf.

Pulled it off after an hour and a half. Internal temp was about 155.

Best Salmon I've ever had. Moist, incredible flavor.... Not too smokey or salty.... Just perfect! Couldn't stop eating it...

Did leave enough to put on a few toasted sesame bagels with some cream cheese, lettuce, tomato, and swiss cheese this morning. :)

Tried something similar with some Salmon I got from Sams & Acme.... Wasn't the same. The fresher the better.....

Richie

October 17th, 2014, 3:59 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Sounds almost like the recipe I posted in the seafood section. I am sure that it was awesome. Good job!

Yoder_Herb
October 17th, 2014, 6:53 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

MMMMMMMmmmmmm smoked Salmon...

got pics???

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~
October 17th, 2014, 9:40 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Sounds almost like the recipe I posted in the seafood section. I am sure that it was awesome. Good job!

Herb.... You were my mentor for this one....

Excellent results and really easy to do....

When you let it air dry I assume you put it back in the fridge.....

Might try using some fresh dill next time.

Thanks....

Richie

October 17th, 2014, 10:21 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I always air dry on the table in the open air, if you live in a humid area you can use a fan, but in the fridge works too.

Yoder_Herb
October 18th, 2014, 6:45 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:I always air dry on the table in the open air, if you live in a humid area you can use a fan, but in the fridge works too.

Not concerned about bacteria growth or spoilage leaving it sit out for four or five hours or is the dry cure enough to prevent that?

Richie

October 18th, 2014, 8:39 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Being in Arizona, it never takes that long to form the pellicle sitting on the table. I have never worried about it, and have always done it this way. I'm no expert, so putting it in the fridge is certainly a smart option.

Yoder_Herb
October 18th, 2014, 9:19 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Diverreb1 wrote:
Yoder_Herb wrote:I always air dry on the table in the open air, if you live in a humid area you can use a fan, but in the fridge works too.

Not concerned about bacteria growth or spoilage leaving it sit out for four or five hours or is the dry cure enough to prevent that?

Richie

a fan will indeed shave that time substantially...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Return to Pellet