Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 7th, 2014, 4:32 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I've noticed on some vids that the 640 might have had the expanded metal grates for both shelves instead of just the top shelf that mine has. Was this ever the case and, if so, why the switch? Just not a big fan of chrome grates... Tnx

October 7th, 2014, 4:46 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I didn't know it when I got mine, but you can special order the main grate in expanded metal for an additional cost. If I understand right, you have to do it at the time you order because the configuration of the rails and such is different if the bottom rack is expanded metal.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
October 7th, 2014, 4:57 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The expanded metal grates were changed to the chrome round bar grates early in 2012. The expanded grates are still available as an option, and fit right where the round bar chrome grates fit. The expanded metal grates are $39.95 each, and requires 2 grates. The chrome round bar grates were first introduced the same as the expanded metal grates (2 grates), but were quickly changed to a 4 piece set for ease of installing and removing.

Yoder_Herb
October 7th, 2014, 9:07 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Ah, gotcha Herb. Great to know! I don't think that's an option listed on either the Yoder website or the atbbq site. Plus, it sure would be great to get a photo of all the options as well. Just something about those expanded metal grates that I love.....

October 7th, 2014, 9:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

They were out of the chrome grates, and they shipped mine with the expanded grates so I would get my Smoker per their stated delivery date... :) Says a lot about Yoder's commitment to their customers!

Terry
October 8th, 2014, 4:52 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yoder_Herb wrote:The expanded metal grates were changed to the chrome round bar grates early in 2013. The expanded grates are still available as an option, and fit right where the round bar chrome grates fit. The expanded metal grates are $39.95 each, and requires 2 grates. The chrome round bar grates were first introduced the same as the expanded metal grates (2 grates), but were quickly changed to a 4 piece set for ease of installing and removing.

Must have been a bit earlier than early 2013, as I have the chrome grates and got mine in Sept of 12. I probably would have opted for the expanded metal too, but honestly don't recall even thinking about it at the time...

The 4 racks of ribs I cooked last night didn't seem to care! :)

October 8th, 2014, 10:54 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Good catch TJ, my typo, it is 2012, not 2013...I will edit my post.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet