Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 5th, 2014, 2:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

HAS ANYBODY GOT SUGGESTIONS WITH EXHAUST? WOULD LIKE TO COOK WITH THE GARAGE DOOR CLOSED IF IT CAN BE DONE WITHOUT BURNING MY HOUSE DOWN

October 5th, 2014, 4:35 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I'd be much more concerned about carbon monoxide than burning house down! In my personal case, I've been able to attach an adjustable gas vent pipe (I posted a picture of it on this forum on one thread) but I don't have any other exhaust tubing or pipe attached. You certainly could though. I get a little bit of smoke that still escapes around the lid (especially since I recently cleaned it and I also get a little smoke coming out around the chimney, where it inserts into the body. (I'll seal both up shortly but it's working ok right now as is.) The "leaks" are small. Still, I wouldn't want to take a chance on CO building up in a closed garage, particularly as it's odorless.... Might not be enough to cause a problem but I'm not a big risk taker on that kind of thing.

October 5th, 2014, 8:47 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

Yes, CO is the major concern here, especially if you have an attached garage. That could seep into your home and be very harmful. If you want to cook in your garage due to weather, place the cooker right next to the garage door and open what windows and doors you can to promote airflow and keep the CO out of your living area.

If you want to cook with your door down, you would need to come up with some sort of exhaust system. Putting a pipe on the stack that would vent outside would get most of it, but some will escape from the cook chamber door too. I don't think I would do it personally.

October 5th, 2014, 9:05 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Yikes, yes, don't do it. If you had designed the garage initially to have a pit area that's one thing, but unless the walls are brick AND you've got a dedicated chimney setup AND plenty of ventilation I would never take the risk with the door down. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Just think of the great BBQ places you've been where they've got dedicated indoor pits. They've all got some things in common:
Brick
Chimneys
Lots of ventilation
9 times out of 10 the cookhouse is either completely separate from the rest of the establishment or there's a substantial firewall (brick, lol).

October 6th, 2014, 11:14 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks guys, I have a chimney I can use with some flex pipe, and was thinking of building a 6ft range hood with some barn tin and an exhaust fan like in the bathroom. I get big ideas when thinking bbq and beer........................... maybe not a good plan. I did get the thermal blanket and am impressed with difference in pellet usage

October 6th, 2014, 1:57 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

MARKUS wrote:Thanks guys, I have a chimney I can use with some flex pipe, and was thinking of building a 6ft range hood with some barn tin and an exhaust fan like in the bathroom. I get big ideas when thinking bbq and beer........................... maybe not a good plan. I did get the thermal blanket and am impressed with difference in pellet usage

yeah with the fan,,,
guy I bought my Durango 24 from in Kentucky had a smoking shed/awning with a hood setting over the chimney with dryer ducting routed out from under the eave,,,
he had 52 cooks on her and from the smoke line I could see and discoloration,,,
I gotta say it don't work very well without a fan pumpin...

~All that is gold does not glitter ~ Not all those that wander are lost~
~20" Yoder "Swiss Army Knife" Stick Burner~

Return to Pellet