Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 7th, 2021, 2:11 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all

I am in the market for a new cooker and looking to see real world experience with rain resistance. Sometimes I am lazy or forgetful and leave the cover off at times. My current pile of a cooker will create pellet cement in the auger tube even on the lightest rains. I’m sure with such a nice cooker as the Yoder I will be more likely to cover and take care of it. On the other hand if this cooker is going to do the same thing I don’t want to spend the money for the same old song and dance.

Thanks for your time and opinions
Kermit

February 28th, 2021, 7:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I purchased my 640 last fall. So far I have been good about keeping it covered. But I am not afraid to cook on it in the rain. Maybe not a downpour because I don't like to stand in that. But I have never seen any issue with wet pellets. I haven't seen any issue with rust either. I wiped a good layer of flax seed oil all over when I first burned it in and give it a touch up every couple of months. Looks like it's holding up well.

March 22nd, 2021, 12:34 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

waynem wrote:I purchased my 640 last fall. So far I have been good about keeping it covered. But I am not afraid to cook on it in the rain. Maybe not a downpour because I don't like to stand in that. But I have never seen any issue with wet pellets. I haven't seen any issue with rust either. I wiped a good layer of flax seed oil all over when I first burned it in and give it a touch up every couple of months. Looks like it's holding up well.

flax seed oil <--- good idea

October 30th, 2021, 7:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I assume the flax was applied on the exterior of the burn chamber?

Return to Pellet