Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 20th, 2020, 8:16 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

quick couple of questions

1- what brand of pellets are you using?

2- am I supposed to place tin foil on my heat diffuser plate? is this just for cleaning purposes? If i do this does it change the temp inside the smoker at all?

thanks

September 20th, 2020, 2:37 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I use Lumberjack. Tried almost all of them. Getting close to finishing up my 3rd ton. One of the moderators claims that Lumberjack produces 10% more ash than BBQ Delight (the suggested) but by my figuring BBQ Delight is approx 40% more in cost. The 10% ash amounts to about half a teaspoon in size or an almost unweighable small amount per 10 hour cook...none of these are exact amounts and I do apologize to the moderators for offering up an opinion that may be slightly different than their tests.

I also use aluminum foil in the bottom of the pit and do cover my diffuser. These both are just my way of keeping things cleaner and lasting longer with what I think is an easier clean up schedule. I have not noticed any difference with temp fluctuations with the aluminum foil as described but I do try to keep the foil at or less than the quarter in rollover on the ends as suggested.

September 30th, 2020, 9:51 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I used B&B pellets...they're made by BBQ Delight. $15 for 40# comp blend at Academy. Really solid pellets. I don't use foil in any of my cookers. I just let the grease/oil form a natural coating to prevent rust.

October 1st, 2020, 11:41 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

westhemess1 wrote:I use Lumberjack. Tried almost all of them. Getting close to finishing up my 3rd ton. One of the moderators claims that Lumberjack produces 10% more ash than BBQ Delight (the suggested) but by my figuring BBQ Delight is approx 40% more in cost. The 10% ash amounts to about half a teaspoon in size or an almost unweighable small amount per 10 hour cook...none of these are exact amounts and I do apologize to the moderators for offering up an opinion that may be slightly different than their tests.

I also use aluminum foil in the bottom of the pit and do cover my diffuser. These both are just my way of keeping things cleaner and lasting longer with what I think is an easier clean up schedule. I have not noticed any difference with temp fluctuations with the aluminum foil as described but I do try to keep the foil at or less than the quarter in rollover on the ends as suggested.

awesome thanks for the info appreciate it!

October 1st, 2020, 11:41 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

cclinard1 wrote:I used B&B pellets...they're made by BBQ Delight. $15 for 40# comp blend at Academy. Really solid pellets. I don't use foil in any of my cookers. I just let the grease/oil form a natural coating to prevent rust.

thanks so much appreciate the info!

Return to Pellet