Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 16th, 2020, 10:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My new YS640S looked beautiful until I tried seasoning using fatback slabs. First I ran it at 350 for about one and a half hours followed by 450 for one hour and then let it cool down. The next day I placed the fatback on the main grilling surface as well as a slab on the upper half shelf and ran it at 250 degrees for 6 hours.
What a complete mess when I opened the door; most of the grease from the fatback found it's way to the bottom of my smoker rather than down the diffuser to the exit port.

Did I do something wrong to cause this to happen. I made sure the fatback was centered on the grill so that the grease would not drip outside of the diffuser.

I am also wondering if the GrillGrates will be a problem going forward as far as allowing grease to drip outside of the diffuser. By the way, I did also make sure the smoker was on level ground.

Any advise will be appreciated as I do not want to spend a couple of hours after each smoke cleaning up grease. I always clean the area of the firebox to make sure I have no ash accumulation.

Return to Pellet