Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 15th, 2020, 9:31 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Are hopper fires an issue with the YS640? I did some forum searching and found some discussion of this around 2014-2015 but nothing since then. My neighbor has a 640 and has had a couple of fires. Last week was the last straw for him and he got rid of it and purchased another brand. He admits he is not much for maintenance, etc. He just wants to fire it up and go. If a person does proper maintenance, follows the start up procedure as outlined by Herb, is there much risk of a fire? I just put my name on a wait list for one but his experience has made me a little nervous.

June 16th, 2020, 3:20 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Yes and No!

I Have had my pit for 5 years. I did have one hopper fire that I had to bail out the pellets and smother. That was few years ago and have not had an issue since. I will soon be on my 4th ton of pellets!

I cannot remember what I attributed the fire to at that time but have nothing but good things to say about Yoder and the YS640. Honestly, if it were me and your buddies 640 was in good shape, knowing what I know...I would have offered to buy on the spot.

Best way I can put it. We are considering moving long distance. When we do, I will probably sell my 640 and have a new one delivered to my new address.

June 18th, 2020, 8:19 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm not quite through 4 tons but have burned through a lot of pellets. I do always make sure to empty the burn grate before starting and have never had a hopper fire. 4 yrs into ownership.

Return to Pellet