Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 12th, 2019, 4:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I was looking at the instructions for the 480/640 conversion kit and noticed there is no mention about mounting the wifi antenna for the competition cart models. Was this overlooked in the instructions? I don't even see an antenna on the newly built YS480s/YS640s competition cart models. Thanks..................

Yoder YS640 Competition Cart - Orange
Stainless Steel Shelves
YS640 Thermal Jacket
Grill Grates
October 12th, 2019, 4:26 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

WE have also received your email request. We will respond via email shortly.

Yoder_Herb
October 12th, 2019, 4:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you very much in advance.......

Stainless Steel Shelves
YS640 Thermal Jacket
Grill Grates
October 13th, 2019, 11:17 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am wondering about this also.
I have the parts on the way and am trying the prepare for the install ahead of time.

YS640 (with ACS update) Competition (Silver)
October 13th, 2019, 11:51 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Here are the instructions: https://www.yodersmokers.com/support/AC ... Kit_v8.pdf

Check out step 14 and step 16

The antenna is in the exact same place, but is under the comp cart after remounting the hopper.

Yoder_Herb
October 13th, 2019, 6:20 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Here are the instructions: https://www.yodersmokers.com/support/AC ... Kit_v8.pdf

The antenna is in the exact same place, but is under the comp cart after remounting the hopper.

According to step 12, the competition carts don't have a fuse in this area. My fuse holder is located on the end panel to the right of the fan. Please see attached photo.

20191013_191540 copy.jpg

Stainless Steel Shelves
YS640 Thermal Jacket
Grill Grates
October 13th, 2019, 7:11 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

phileefan wrote:
Yoder_Herb wrote:Here are the instructions: https://www.yodersmokers.com/support/AC ... Kit_v8.pdf

According to step 12, the competition carts don't have a fuse in this area. My fuse holder is located on the end panel to the right of the fan. Please see attached photo.

20191013_191540 copy.jpg

The hole is there for the antenna.

Yoder_Herb
October 14th, 2019, 9:45 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb is right. Did my conversion yesterday. The hole in the hopper is there and is hidden by the comp cart. When you remove the hopper (to place the insulation) be careful returning it as the new antenna can get pinched. It took about three beers and 3/4 of an NFL game to complete the whole conversion. The only part that I haven't done yet is drilling for the new probe port. Need to get a new stepdown bit as I want it nice and sharp before putting a hole in my 640...

Attachments
IMG_4986.JPG
October 14th, 2019, 11:27 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

curly wrote:Herb is right. Did my conversion yesterday. The hole in the hopper is there and is hidden by the comp cart. When you remove the hopper (to place the insulation) be careful returning it as the new antenna can get pinched. It took about three beers and 3/4 of an NFL game to complete the whole conversion. The only part that I haven't done yet is drilling for the new probe port. Need to get a new stepdown bit as I want it nice and sharp before putting a hole in my 640...

Curly,

I understand that the hole is there, but it doesn't make much sense to me to put an antenna back behind a piece of metal when you have just as easily put in in the end panel where it's a lot more accessible and probably get better wifi signal!

So now if something goes wrong with the antenna I'm either taking the hopper off again or reaching up underneath the comp cart to gain access to the antenna. Not well thought out to me!

Stainless Steel Shelves
YS640 Thermal Jacket
Grill Grates
October 16th, 2019, 7:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

phileefan wrote:
curly wrote:Herb is right. Did my conversion yesterday. The hole in the hopper is there and is hidden by the comp cart. When you remove the hopper (to place the insulation) be careful returning it as the new antenna can get pinched. It took about three beers and 3/4 of an NFL game to complete the whole conversion. The only part that I haven't done yet is drilling for the new probe port. Need to get a new stepdown bit as I want it nice and sharp before putting a hole in my 640...

Curly,

I understand that the hole is there, but it doesn't make much sense to me to put an antenna back behind a piece of metal when you have just as easily put in in the end panel where it's a lot more accessible and probably get better wifi signal!

So now if something goes wrong with the antenna I'm either taking the hopper off again or reaching up underneath the comp cart to gain access to the antenna. Not well thought out to me!
That’s my concern. Hopefully the metal comp cart doesn’t effect the signal strength.

Last edited by Baldhills on October 16th, 2019, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YS640 (with ACS update) Competition (Silver)
October 16th, 2019, 8:34 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Baldhills wrote:
phileefan wrote:

Curly,

Amen, I agree. The WiFi on the comp cart seems like a bad design.

Absolutely, it would make no sense to mount anything Wifi surrounded by metal. There has to be a better place for it.

YS640 on comp cart, grease gutter, counter weight bumpers, stainless shelves, ACS conversion kit.
YS1500, Stock!
October 16th, 2019, 9:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yeah guys, I'm not impressed with the antenna location on the comp carts for sure! My wifi is sketchy at best out where my comp cart is. HOPEFULLY this antenna location gets changed..........

Stainless Steel Shelves
YS640 Thermal Jacket
Grill Grates
October 16th, 2019, 10:12 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Does anyone have a suggestion on where else we could place the antenna? I can't mount it in the cart as I will have no signal.

YS640 on comp cart, grease gutter, counter weight bumpers, stainless shelves, ACS conversion kit.
YS1500, Stock!
October 17th, 2019, 12:45 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Gents, this was tested, tested, and tested again, with great results.

Yoder_Herb
October 17th, 2019, 6:53 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:Gents, this was tested, tested, and tested again, with great results.

Herb, I will try it today when I install it. But coming from the IT world and spending much of my time in wireless networking I question the testing. I will test the strength today with a meter from my old office and will let you know the results. There is a reason that companies place WiFi antennas on the ceilings and not inside a metal desk. Results to follow. Have a blessed day everybody!

YS1500, Stock!
October 17th, 2019, 10:00 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, I spent 32 years in IT myself, as a network engineer.

Yoder_Herb
April 11th, 2020, 3:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So do I need to move my wifi antenna on the YS640 comp cart from the underneath the competition cart to the side panel where the fuse holder hole is to plug the hole?? This was not communicated properly in the directions.

Return to Pellet