Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 16th, 2014, 10:19 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My YS 640 grill has no problem getting to 500+ degrees but it won't stay there. Once it reaches the set temp it goes into maintenance mode and the temp slowly starts to fall. I've read that the grill won't heat up or cool down until it passes a 35 degree temp. swing either way. My grill has fallen as low as 361 degrees ( 139 degrees below my set point of 500 ) and it was still in maintenance mode. I've been working with customer service and I tried a new controller last night. Same scenario but this time the grill dropped to 397 and then went up to and leveled out around 410 degrees ( all while in maintenance mode ) 410 is still well below the 35 degree mark.
I'm not sure why both controllers stayed in maintenance mode and didn't kick into heat up mode. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Suggestion?
I'm still working with customer service but just wanted to see if anyone else has any input. Thanks Matt

September 16th, 2014, 10:52 am
Site AdminSite Admin

How often are you opening the lid?

Where are you getting the temperature reading from? The controller will only show the set temp when set for 500 degrees and up.

Have you tried setting the controller to 495 degrees so you can see what is happening, as the controller behaves very differently when set to 500 degrees and above?

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 11:02 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Couple more questions:

Are you running 500 degrees with the heat diffuser in or out?

Are you using grill grates or the normal grates?

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 11:12 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I"m getting my temp readings from the digital read out. I understand that once the temp reaches the set point of 500 it will just blink the set point and not show the actual temp. (until it drops below 500, like mine does, then it shows the actual temp) I had to open the lid a few times to check the progress of a pizza cook last night but I kept it as quick as I could. With my first controller the temp reached the 500 degree mark for a few minutes and then had dropped into the low 400's before I opened the lid to put the pizza on. Even if you open the lid and the temp drops I assume once it drops below the 35 degree mark from the set temp it should kick into heat up mode? I'll try the 495* setting the next time I cook. I haven't tried that yet.
My main question/concern is why the grill doesn't detect that 35+ degree drop and kick into heat up mode?

September 16th, 2014, 11:24 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Heat diffuser was in and the regular grill grates. I had it set up the same way my friend cooks pizza on his 640.

September 16th, 2014, 12:04 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The controller is working exactly as designed. 500 degree and higher temperatures were specifically designed for direct grilling using the optional Grill Grates accessory kit, with the heat diffuser removed. If you desire active management, you will need to set the temperature at 495 degrees and below.

I cook pizza on my 640 with the optional Grill Grates turned flat side up, in the middle of the cooker, the cooker temperature set to 325, with the heat diffuser in. In this configuration, I can burn a pizza crust black in just a few minutes.

If you want to use a pizza stone, put in on top of the optional Grill Grates in the center of the cooker, in their normal orientation, with the heat diffuser in and a set temperature of 350 degrees.

We suggest that you never run the cooker above 350 to 400 degrees with the heat diffuser in place. This is the point that you are no longer smoking or baking, but rather grilling. Reviewing the user manual, starting on page 24, will give you some great insight into how the cooker was designed to work.

When I grill burgers, chicken and steaks of normal thickness, I use a set temperature of 350 degrees, with the optional Grill Grates on the left side of the cooker, with the heat diffuser in. I have also used 2 of the Grill Grates kits to use the entire lower portion of the cooker to grill larger quantities using this same setup.

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 12:52 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the insight. Do you lay the pizza on the grill grates directly or use a pizza pan? I use a perforated pizza cooking pan, I suppose I could sit the pan in the middle on the grill grates. Does your crust burn before the cheese melts?

When you grill on the left side with the heat diffuser in place to you keep the baffle pushed in to the left? Do you keep the baffle open when your cooking pizza at 350* in the middle of the grill?

thanks again, I like the idea of cooking on the grill grates (flat side up)

September 16th, 2014, 1:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I normally don't move the baffle at all. I pull the baffle all the way to the right, and then back in about 5" or so, and leave it there all the time.

For pizza, I'm lazy, I get a Poppa Murphy's pizza and cook it on the paper tray they put under the pizza. With a thicker pizza, yes the crust can get done before the toppings. But I cheat here too, I put my second set of Grill Grates on the top shelf (they fit sideways), flat side down, directly above the pizza. When doing this I let the cooker warm up a little longer to get everything heated up.

I have never used a perforated pan, but don't see why it wouldn't work just as well.

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 1:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *
  • Location: Mile High, waiting patiently for my YS640 Comp Cart :)

Herb, I take it the second set of grill grates radiate the heat down for more even cooking?

Anxiously waiting my new YS640 Silver Comp cart
September 16th, 2014, 2:02 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, it works that way for me. Not nearly as hot as the Grill Grates on the bottom (obviously), but better than the ambient air circulating in the cooker.

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 2:22 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks again for all the ideas.

September 16th, 2014, 6:21 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Someday I'm going to have to try making a pizza on my YS640!

Mike
2 - YS640 Silver Competition Carts
September 16th, 2014, 6:45 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Saguaromike wrote:Someday I'm going to have to try making a pizza on my YS640!

You might be making a life changing decision if you do. Just saying!

Yoder_Herb
September 16th, 2014, 8:00 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Saugoromike, I did one a couple of weeks ago. It was awesome.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
July 5th, 2015, 1:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:...I cook pizza on my 640 with the optional Grill Grates turned flat side up, in the middle of the cooker, the cooker temperature set to 325, with the heat diffuser in. In this configuration, I can burn a pizza crust black in just a few minutes.

If you want to use a pizza stone, put in on top of the optional Grill Grates in the center of the cooker, in their normal orientation, with the heat diffuser in and a set temperature of 350 degrees...

Is this still the preferred method for cooking a Papa Murphy's? Thanks.

July 5th, 2015, 1:32 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

This is just one way of achieving the desired result. You should practice and find the best solution that works for you.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet