Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 4th, 2019, 4:47 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a Primo XL and (when I need to) I maintain perfect temps with a BBQ Guru/CyberQ Wifi.

I'm considering a Yoder YS 640 or 480. Is there anyone out there who has (or does) own a ceramic smoker that can give insight as to a comparative ownership insight?

I've been wanting a Yoder for a few months but I'm not sure why (other than an outdoor cooking addiction and a desire to try something new).

For those of you who have used both, how does the food compare?

February 11th, 2019, 11:47 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I bought a YS640 after a decade of cooking on a Large BGE. I've had the Yoder for a few months and haven't toughed the Egg. I won't ever sell it but the Yoder is just that good. The BGE will still serve a purpose, I hope, as of now I can't see what that would be. No more baby-sitting long cooks and fretting about temps, no more dirty lump, just plain and simple. I just did a 15 hour pork shoulder in 20ºF weather and didn't have to worry. The food coming out of this thing is insanely good, still as moist as the Egg. I was on the fence between a Wichita Loaded and the pellet and so happy I went the pellet route.

February 12th, 2019, 10:33 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I do have a Primo XL and a YS640. I wouldn't give either one up. After owning and using both for several years... Here's my list:

Primo XL Pro's:
- Moisture retention. It is so efficient at cooking, that not much air runs through it. I've cooked much juicier poultry on the Primo than the Yoder.
- Hight heat. You can crank this up and do some serious cooking. If you ever want to get into the craft of making great pizza's... This is a great start
- The cleanout is much easier, but still a slight pain in the butt.
- Adding wood. I don't know... there's just something I like about adding my own wood. I feel like it makes me more accountable as a cook (too much smoke? not enough smoke??)

Primo XL Con's:
- She heavy. You're not loading this up for a weekend getaway without some help. If you plan on traveling, then I would recommend the YSxx0 on a comp cart. I load my YS640 non-stop in the summer onto a trailer. I probably could do the same with the Primo, but it's not designed for bumpy rides.
- Even if you have a temp controller on the Primo, it's still more babysitting than the Yoder. The Yoder just cooks. Forget about it...

Yoder Pro's:
- For sure "working space". I feel like I can move things around easier.
- Hot spots. I know where my hot spots are on my Yoder. So, if things are running behind or ahead, I know where to move stuff to. They aren't huge differences, but use them to your advantage. If you are cooking a lot of meat that needs to finish at the same time, figure out a meat rotation scheme.
- Portability. I can easily load this on my trailer by myself and then be cooking 8 pork butts immediately.
- Ribs and Chicken. I do competition and can't get a look at these two meats on a Yoder. But, my friends, family, and I don't lie when we all say the best chicken/ribs I've put out has been on the Yoder. It rocks! Meanwhile, I cook those meats on a drum at competitions.

Yoder Con's"
- The cleanout is sort of a drag. You know that feeling like you wake up on a Saturday, you don't have to work, but you remember that you have to go to your boss's son's wedding or some crap that evening? It's sort of like that. "Yeah.. I know I gotta do it, and it'll be alright." It's like that feeling.
- Control over the cook. If you like tinkering with "stuff" from cook to cook, then it's a little more boring on the Yoder. Sure you can add an Amazin' Smoke Tube for more smoke flavor, but be prepared for people to tell you that it's not needed and that it's "dirty" smoke. If you try different pellets and have ANY issues, then be prepared for people to tell you to stick to the _______ brand pellets. (These items are with ANY pellet grill.)

Other than that... I love both cookers equally (as well as the 3 drums and an offset under one sleepy roof). They all have their place! Good luck.

February 13th, 2019, 10:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Return to Pellet