Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 2nd, 2019, 10:03 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am considering a Yoder smoker (YS480 or YS640) to add to my collection of grills and smokers. Currently, I have a Primo XL (with a CyberQ WiFi temp controller), a smaller Weber Spirit gas grill and an Ooni Pro Pizza oven.

I would use the Yoder to pick up some of my smoking duties and would LIKE it to replace the Weber and my Ooni so I can get down to just 2 grills/smokers (Primo and Yoder).

We use the Weber primarily for 'quick grills' where we want to fire it up to high temps quickly and throw on some burgers, dogs or chicken. How does the Yoder do as far as grilling with Grill Grates- particularly as it comes to time to hit grilling temps and evenness of temperature along the grate surface?

Also, I usually don't need a huge cooking surface (and I have the Primo XL when I do) - is there a big difference in time to target temp and pellet consumption due to the increase in cooking area?

FInally, does the comp cart add anything? I love the aesthetics and the fact that the drip pail seems more protected from getting knocked off but I'm not going to be taking it anywhere (and the shelf on the reg cart MIGHT be handy.

Oops - one more question. Do the shelves fold down when not in use?

THANKS!!.

February 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

The grill grates temps are very hot where the flame comes up directly hitting the grates. It's about 14' or so of searing heat heat heat. It drops off in the corners. 4 ribeyes will fit in that area. If you want to do more, then you'll have to rotate the steaks around a bit. Hint: The best searing is flipping the grates to the flat side.
\
I have the non stainless shelves. The do not fold down,

In 20 min the smoker is at temp, especially when grilling.

Yes pellet consumption goes way up when grilling, you are constantly feeding the firepot.

Return to Pellet