Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi, I just joined the forums. I have read and searched for about a month but can't make my mind up between Yoder ys640 and the mak 1 star general.. I really like the way the Yoder looks and it has more space along with the comp cart. What I worry about with the Yoder is it seems like while people are saying how much they love it, in the same sentence they are complaining about having to work on it. So I guess I'll just list my main questions.

1. I see they updated the heat defuser because it was warping. I see some people were still having issues even with the new updated one. Has this been fixed?

2. Uneven temps from one side to the other. Is this still an issue?

Not trying to come off as an ass but at the same time something has to set these smokers apart from the cheaper smokers on the market. I was about to blind buy one until I started reading all the problems people were having. I believe buy once cry once but I'm not trying to Shell out money on something that's problematic. Thank you for your time.

January 9th, 2019, 9:14 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1923

Please feel free to call our Sales Team at 877.409.6337, option 1, with any questions you may have.

Yoder_Herb
January 9th, 2019, 9:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have already read all of that along with most everything else on this site in great detail. I was simply just wondering if the issues had been resolved.. Looking to hear from people if they are still having issues with new smokers after all the updates. I really like the comp cart for the Yoder but I'm having trouble finding many complaints about Mak smokers and it seems like Yoder has alot of problems. I would just like to verify that the improvements that have been made actually work before I throw down thousands on something just to have issues with it. I do not want to be a smoker mechanic thats why you pay top dollar for Yoder because its suppose to be of such quality that you don't have to rebuild it so it works. Not trying to go on a rant it just seems like alot of the stuff we buy these days even expensive stuff you just end of fixing it yourself to make it actually work.. I don't want to end up being a smoker builder/grill tech I wanna throw money down on something that actually works if that still exist.

January 10th, 2019, 12:04 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Have had my YS640 for over 4 years. Never a warped diffuser.

Temps are a bit uneven, like most reverse smokers. And having the heat source at one end. Never been an issue, 30f diff is nothing to worry about. It's not like one side is 400f and the other is 300f etc.

January 10th, 2019, 4:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Have had my 640 for three years. No warp on the original or two-piece diffuser (and I use the two-piece for reverse sear level temps). I found that by using a couple bags of frozen biscuits and adjusting the slide, I was able to really smooth out any heat differences I had across the smoker when needed.

January 10th, 2019, 6:20 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yep, I did the same early on. Biscuits (cheap to buy) tell the story on heat. The new one piece diffuser is much better. You see posts here on a low basis with problems.

Most folks never ever ever post. No problems, no posts. This is a very quiet place.

There are a 'few' good pellet smokers out there, few that also rock cooking steaks. Few that last forever. Might want to PM me and I'll send you to a forum so you can read the problems of the other pellet poopers. The Yoder forum there is quiet. Meaning no posts like " My last cook went out. My last cook had a massive grease fire, These parts will make your smoker right, you only need a grinder".

I'd post the link but the Admins disallow it. So message me, I can send a link in a message.

January 10th, 2019, 9:23 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I have a YS640 and it has not warped. However, I really never go over 325 degrees with the diffuser in. So, keep that in mind. If you crank it a lot over that, your mileage might vary.

There is definitely a temp change from left to right. I, personally, like it. If a piece of meat is running behind, I know right where to move it to; same thing if it's running too hot. Also, it's not a huge temp swing. The bottom right just feels like more "direct" heat while the top feels more evenly around the meat.

Every cooker you buy will have hot and cool spots. You just have to learn your cooker and use it to your advantage.

In closing, the nice thing about the Yoder level of cooker is the steel. Yes, you pay for it, but it's so nice. I have two friends whose (Chinese) cookers tipped over in a windstorm. There is no way this thing is tipping over. Also, the thickness of the steel will work to your advantage if you live in a place with cold winters. If Yoder wasn't an option I would look at Mak and Blazin'. You're doing your homework, so good job!

Return to Pellet