Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 27th, 2018, 11:41 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have been looking at a YS640 for a while now. One reason I hesitate is my location. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so I get a lot of rain. My patio is an uncovered wood deck. Even if i keep it covered between cooks, is it a good fit for my location? Will I constantly be fighting rust? When I visited our local store, they (gently) tried to steer me to other brands with stainless or enameled covers. I really like Yoder but it's a lot of money to sit and rust away.

January 3rd, 2019, 11:13 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Bump. How about it, anyone else in the Portland/Seattle area? How do you protect your 640 from the weather?

January 3rd, 2019, 10:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I keep mine in the garage but I’m sure if it’s under cover it’s going to be fine. My garage still gets a wetness this time of the year but I never have seen anything weird with the pellets. I wouldn’t let rain pound on it but that’s just me.

January 5th, 2019, 12:43 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I can only post the obvious. I do live in the greater Seattle area and yes airflow, moisture and humidity can be a problem to all metals...stainless steel being the outlier. I am lucky enough to have a fully covered large deck but still have a cover for the elements. Love my yoder and if by chance I ever move to a place without a decent cover or area I can easily mover my pit to I would probably build a cookshack of some sort to accommodate. Of course if you are renting it probably makes it cost prohibited.

Either way, wish you luck...

Return to Pellet