Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 19th, 2018, 7:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hello all, Ill make this as short and to the point as possible. I have been smoking for events, family and guests for about 15 years. My first smoker was an Oklahoma Joes, 2nd was a Horizon Ranger and most recently is a YS-640. Since purchasing the Yoder in March of 2017, I have been less than pleased with the way the meat turns out...not near enough smoke and ring to call it smoked meat. I have used many different pellet brands and flavors...finally settled on the Lumberjack Supreme blend. Over the last couple of years, I noticed that requests for my food and services has declined, I can understand why. I tried the smoking tubes and weggies...not happy at all. I dont know if this is is as good as it gets? I know ill get hammered for this but, I used my brothers Pit Boss 820 Deluxe last weekend for four slabs of loinbacks, that was a fine cook with just the right amount of smoke (2 hours on 150 before turning to 250). What am I missing? If this is normal, I have a YS-640 for sale $800.00 in Kansas. Thanks!

November 23rd, 2018, 11:04 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Did you run the Yoder the same way as the PB? I would assume so. If you are trying some final things before giving up the Yoder, I would try LumberJack 100% Hickory, Amazn' tube, and lower heat. I also feel like the top shelf gets more smoke (because of less heat).

I'm almost the exact opposite... I like running at a higher heat, on the lower shelf, without the Amazn'. It's all preference.

In your defense... I pretty much only use my Yoder for poultry, ribs, and long cooks where I can't be there. I have other cookers for the large meats. I have no problem putting a pork but on and leaving the house for 8 hours. It's so reliable.

One last thought... I do a lot of comps and bring my Yoder every time. I haven't got a call on the Yoder yet. However, on my three drums I have received calls. So, yeah... I get it, but it doesn't mean that it's a bad cooker. It has a special place in my heart because some of the best food in my days are off of a Yoder.

December 12th, 2018, 8:57 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

What part of Kansas?

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!
December 13th, 2018, 12:39 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Wish I was in or near Kansas

February 5th, 2019, 12:33 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

scooter trash wrote:Hello all, Ill make this as short and to the point as possible. I have been smoking for events, family and guests for about 15 years. My first smoker was an Oklahoma Joes, 2nd was a Horizon Ranger and most recently is a YS-640. Since purchasing the Yoder in March of 2017, I have been less than pleased with the way the meat turns out...not near enough smoke and ring to call it smoked meat. I have used many different pellet brands and flavors...finally settled on the Lumberjack Supreme blend. Over the last couple of years, I noticed that requests for my food and services has declined, I can understand why. I tried the smoking tubes and weggies...not happy at all. I dont know if this is is as good as it gets? I know ill get hammered for this but, I used my brothers Pit Boss 820 Deluxe last weekend for four slabs of loinbacks, that was a fine cook with just the right amount of smoke (2 hours on 150 before turning to 250). What am I missing? If this is normal, I have a YS-640 for sale $800.00 in Kansas. Thanks!

Is the unit still for sale?

Return to Pellet