Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 22nd, 2018, 1:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have a YS-1500 and I’m seeking information on long cook times. The control board temps are running very close to the set temps.

Cooked 2 briskets at 235* (1-15# and 1-10#). The larger one cooked on the bottom rack and the smaller cooked on the top rack. Took 21 hours to complete cook.

Last night smoked 2 8-9# pork tenderloins, cut in half. All 4 cooked on the bottom rack at 235*. The sliding plate was open approximately 2”.
Cook took 9 1/2 hours.

I have replaced the thermocouple with the last 6-8 months. Anxious for any recommendations or like situations anyone has experienced.

Charlie Maddox

September 22nd, 2018, 3:35 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

How often are you opening the door?

Are you spraying/spritzing/mopping liquid on the meat?

Assuming you meant 8-9 pound pork loins and not the much smaller tenderloins.

Yoder_Herb
January 18th, 2019, 12:30 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:How often are you opening the door?

Are you spraying/spritzing/mopping liquid on the meat?

Assuming you meant 8-9 pound pork loins and not the much smaller tenderloins.

I did mean pork loins. I do spritz about every 1.5 hours.

Since this last post, I’m still having extra long cook times. Thinking maybe I need to up the temps.

Starting to use B & B 50% Pecan & Cherry pellets.

January 25th, 2019, 3:07 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I think this has more to do with the design philosophy of the cookers temp control rather than a fault as im only 6 cooks into my new YS1500 and am experiencing exactly the same thing with all my cook times blowing out by hours.

With all my other cookers I relied on what the temp from my Thermoworks Smoke read and doing the same in the YS1500 can give a 30 degree variation from what my set temp is due to Yoder setting for grate level temps instead of the ambient air a cm or two above the grate (which the Thermoworks is measuring) so to cook using temps im used to with my other cookers im bumping up the set temp in the yoder to compensate so if I want to cook at 250 i'll set it to 280 however the last few cooks im learning to just forget about it and let the Yoder do its thing knowing that the temp will be lower than what im used to and just giving it more time instead.

Would be interesting to see what difference this makes for the final result in terms of taste (i.e. cooking lower for longer) as well as seeing if pelet consumptions is better, same or worse.

January 25th, 2019, 3:17 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Take a look at this, specifically the YS1500 parts: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1923

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet