Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 6th, 2018, 12:10 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

A few days ago I let the hopper on the 640 run out pellets. When I noticed I immediately added pellets. Seeing as though the igniter was past the 5 minute mark, I assume it was off. The pellets never did re-ignite but instead turned to a smoldering dirty smoke. Because I was pretty close to the end of my cook and I had company, I finished in the oven.

So, the next time I started my pit (of course after cleaning the firepot and unplugging and then plugging in again) my igniter did not start the pellets. I then did a manual start (never had to do one of those in 4 years) and had a successful cook. At that point I became a little concerned that maybe the igniter was going to become a problem.

This morning I went through the normal startup procedure and all is well. Finally getting to my question...does this sound like a normal reaction from my admitted mental mistake by the programed start up procedure, or is it possible that maybe I have initiated a problem in the future and should start thinking about buying an igniter for that (un)eventful day?

July 6th, 2018, 8:58 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

It was more than likely just an anonomly. When you unplug, wait 30 seconds and plug if back in. The igniter only comes on at startup, and will not come on again until the next startup.

Yoder_Herb
July 7th, 2018, 10:12 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Thanks Herb, no issues after cook number two. Must have been as you said...just a one time thing.

Return to Pellet