Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 28th, 2018, 11:18 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi everyone,

I'm in San Diego, been using the popular Chinese brand for about 5 years and it's been serviceable. I've become the go-to guy for family and friends that want to eat good BBQ and I enjoy putting it out there for them. As such I'd like to move up to a larger and higher quality machine.

My current situation is that I reside in a town-home with no yard and the smoker will be stored in the garage, wheeled out back and used. I anticipate using it weekly so there will be some regular moving it around. Next year I will be purchasing a larger home with a yard and will dedicate a portion to an outdoor cooking/dining area. I anticipate most cooks will be for 3-4 with semi-regular extended family events for about 7-10 and occasional entertaining of 20-30.

The ys480 would double my cooking area and the ys640 would triple it. Both would be a significant upgrade for me as to cook area. I see other than size, the only real difference is the variable displacement damper and I'm not sure how that is actually used or what situations it's used in. Cooks will be butts, racks, slabs, and occasional birds, beer-can and parts.

What accessories would you have opted for? What are the "must-haves" and the "Dang I should haves"? Small items I'm not so concerned with, more the things that should be ordered with the unit.

Thanks in advance, and if anyone happens to be local and would like to show off their Yoder I'd be more than happy to supply some fine local craft suds for a tour and a taste.

July 1st, 2018, 5:55 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I'd definitely recommend the two piece diffuser, comp cart, & cover, I'd also go with the 640, so you're not liking yourself later for not going bigger.

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!
July 5th, 2018, 11:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Love my 640 and agree with Dr. about the size. Looked at the 480 and glad I went with the Comp cart and 640. Mine is a garage queen as well and I roll it out so the comp cart was a must have. Two-piece diffuser and grill grates have made me almost forget about the weber summit sitting around back. Only other thing that I like is my Tappecue. The door thermometer is nice to look at but...

Return to Pellet