Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 17th, 2018, 8:03 pm
CAW
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Had my YS 640 for 4 yrs, have cleaned it and touched up the paint about 1-1/2 yrs ago when I lived in Colorado. We moved to North Carolina about 5 mo ago, since moving the amount of rust has really increased. Does anyone have any other advice than cleaning and using the touch up stove paint again?

I'd like to keep it looking good for years to come

April 17th, 2018, 9:41 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I'm thinking that you could get it powder-coated. That could look entirely sexy. I've done it to a gravity feed and it's held up just fine. You might want to make sure that it can handle the slightly higher temp. Also, I would be prepared to pay about 3 bills.

April 18th, 2018, 8:30 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ok not to start an argument but I have had other smokers that used heat resistant paint and they would get surface rust. At first I would sand and repaint but it would start to rust again. What I did and it seemed to work pretty well was while it was hot I would rub down the entire smoker with some lard or peanut oil that I used to season it with. I would do this every few weeks or longer it depended on how it looked to me. Then I would wipe it down with a clean rag to get the excess oil off. I don't think I ever painted it again after doing that. I have done the same thing to my YS640 ( Its only a few weeks old ). Time will tell if it controls the rusting or if I screwed up the paint.

April 18th, 2018, 8:25 pm
CAW
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the ideas

April 19th, 2018, 3:08 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Watching this thread with interest. My Yoder is new, and I know it's just a grill and that it will definitely be put through the paces, but I want to keep it looking nice.

I believe I read somewhere that older units have a different type of paint then newer units. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!

Return to Pellet