Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 7th, 2018, 4:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I’m just getting into smoking and I’m about to buy my first smoker, a YS640 w/comp cart. My question is what should I get with it? What offficial Yoder accessories are must haves, nice to haves, splurges, and not worth its? Also, what else am I going to need to pick up in the short term (tongs, pellets, thermometers, etc)?

April 7th, 2018, 8:24 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Top grate for more cooking room. Two piece diffuser. Grill grates. Don't need anymore really.

You can go for the stainless shelves on the outside, or the comp cart. Comp cart if you plan to take it off the patio. Otherwise, nothing needed like all the fancy odd add ons that other makers need to make it perfect.

April 8th, 2018, 12:54 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Agree with conumdrum. I actually posed the same question nearly 4 years ago when I first got mine. Other than a Thermapen I see no use for the other thermostats but others swear by them. I did buy the spatula but found out I only use it for cleaning the back side of the grill grates. I live near Seattle so found the thermal blanket a nice add on but not absolutely necessary (might be different in your area). For pellets...read than numerous threads or go with the company line. For me, I grill a lot and buy by the ton...tried them all and settled on Lumberjack. Depending on where you live and how much you use the pit you may feel differently. Honestly thee are only a few worth buying. Might want to pick up a sealed container to store opened pellets. You should get a small designated shop vac...the small one I think 2 1/2 gallon for cleaning ash. Both can be bought at HomeDepot.

The rest are as needed. Pizza Stone or steel, beer can chicken equivalent, stainless steel pan for ease of transfer and cutting up meats. HAVE FUN!!

April 9th, 2018, 6:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks!

I'm going to do the Comp cart, two piece diffuser, and Grill Grates. The stainless shelves come standard on the comp cart version, although All Things BBQ does allow you to skip them and save $200. The diffuser seems outrageously priced, but it appears to be a pretty much must have.

I already have a Thermapen and I'll be in Arkansas so probably wouldn't use the thermal blanket (plus I'm too lazy to smoke in really cold temps). I'll probably skip on the spatula since I'm fairly certain I'll never use it. I've got a baking steel, but I've also got an Uuni for pizza.

I do have a local guy that sells lumberjack for $0.50 a pound. I'm currently in Utah, but I'm moving to Arkansas and don't really want to move a bunch of pellets with me. Maybe I'll just go grab 10 or so bags to take with me. Also, BBQ'rs Delight is based in Arkansas and there is a dealer right by my house.

A homer bucket with vacuum is a great idea. I'll definitely pick one up.

April 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If you are in Arkansas, go to the BBQR's Delight factory and buy a ton directly from them.

Yoder_Herb
April 9th, 2018, 7:24 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Yup! If I lived in Arkansas I'd probably buy Bbq Delight also. Shipping seems to be about a third of the price. Lumberjack is far cheaper here even though the distance is nearly the same. Saving on shipping would be a deal maker instead of a deal breaker.

April 9th, 2018, 8:50 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

My personal opinion, from the tests I have accomplished, the performance and stability realized, and with hardly any of the fluffy fly ash other brands have, I will always use BBQR's Delight pellets, no matter the difference in shipping cost. To me, it is like running an alcohol dragster on 87 octane pump gas when not using BBQR's Delight pellets, but it is a personal choice that everyone is entitled to make. BTW - There is a reason that BBQR's Delight pellets is all we use at the factory for development, programming, testing and cooking.

Yoder_Herb
April 11th, 2018, 10:26 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

ktmracer12345 wrote:Thanks!

The diffuser seems outrageously priced, but it appears to be a pretty much must have.

Yes, you definitely want the two piece diffuser. Makes vacuuming/cleaning the firebox/unit a breeze!

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!

Return to Pellet