Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 29th, 2018, 8:32 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am still relatively new to Yoder Pellet smokers. I have a YS640. I bought it used about four months ago. After destroying a brisket earlier this week I have decided to research this a little more and learn better how to use this fine piece of equipment. Any thoughts as to where to start? Any resources to get up to speed?

March 29th, 2018, 8:50 am
Site AdminSite Admin

http://thesauce.atbbq.com is our go-to blog

Yoder_Herb
March 29th, 2018, 12:21 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I will start by saying brisket is the hardest meat to perfect. There are many variables the main one being to not take off too much fat when trimming...so don't beat yourself up!

The second thing I always tell people is do not try to out think the pit. Raising and lowering temps (on your own)is not out of the question just really very little need to more than once on pretty much any cook.

I would say ribs, smoked salmon and fatty's are the three easiest to cook. If you want to build up your confidence try one of those. All three set and almost forget...cannot go wrong!

None of us are experts but the ys640 is the most foolproof smoker out there...makes us all better than before if you let it!

March 29th, 2018, 12:49 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the tips Westhemess1.

A little background, I have been smoking meat for almost 10 years and have done several successful briskets. This was my first on the Yoder. I know this can be a temperamental piece of meat. Looking back though, I may have trimmed off a bit too much fat. The part that was discouraging for me was that it was for a church group. I really appreciate the encouragement.

I am mostly looking for some guidance regarding the smoker itself (when/how to update the firmware, how to use the damper, etc.). I have been rereading the user manual and already found some useful information.

March 29th, 2018, 12:58 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Isn't BBQ great. The diversity of products and methods is infinite.

I trim all fat off my briskets.

Check out these two sub-forums to help with your questions: viewtopic.php?f=49&t=154 and viewtopic.php?f=49&t=141

These may also be of interest:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1368
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=787
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=628
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1392
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1365

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Please feel free to browse and uncover the vast amount of information on the forum.

If you need specific help, you may always give us a call at 877.409.6337, option 2, or send us an email at customerservice@yodersmokers.com

Yoder_Herb
March 29th, 2018, 4:33 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

I guess I should add my final tip:

Take all tips from anonymous posters with a grain of salt!

Personally briskets are not my go to large gatherings. My first was my best and I did not take any fat off. Perfectly juicy and soft as butter. Bar none and not even close my best. My worst was one that I scalped...dry and not very tender.

Probably at that time I decided it must be because of the fat top (or lack of). Now after hearing from Herb, I can only concur that the dryness was do to pilot error, cut of meat, or under cooking but will say that I trim but always leave a good portion of the fat on. That being said, I am forever chasing the quality of the first cook.

Anyway, thanks Herb for the input and good luck on the next brisket.

March 29th, 2018, 5:51 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Some pictures of brisket flats, all fat removed, cooked at 250 till bark was hard set, wrapped, heat turned up to 300, removed when they probed tender, let vent for 15 to 20 minutes to stop the cooking process, wrapped and into the cambo for 3 to 4 hours to rest before slicing.

640 brisket.JPG

640 brisket 1.JPG

640 brisket 2.JPG

2 separated briskets on the 640
2 briskets on 640.jpg

And no matter how many of these I make, there are never any leftover
640 burnt ends closeup.jpg

4 separated briskets on the 1500
4 seperated briskets on 1500.JPG

Ready to wrap
brisket to be wrapped.JPG

Yoder_Herb
March 29th, 2018, 10:59 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Yummy!
Pictures #2,3 and 5 the finished product. Nice...

March 29th, 2018, 11:11 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

#1 Is a choice grade, looks dry, but it isn't, as I toweled it off before I put it on the cutting board. #2 and #3 are prime grade. They are a good example of the difference between a tight muscle and a loose muscle. #2 bent down at a 45° angle when picked up in the cryovac, and #3 was stiff and didn't bend much at all when picked up in the cryovac. Both were cooked at the same time, on the same cooker, prepped the same and were done within minutes of each other.

Yoder_Herb
March 30th, 2018, 12:48 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Either way, they're all beautiful!

I did notice the difference (and the glistening). I was actually marveling at the smoke ring on #2 but it is interesting to see the difference in smoke rings on #2 and 3 seeing as though they were both cooked at the same time and length. Only goes to show the diversity and complexity of similar meats...good lesson to us all.

Thanks again Herb and sorry for hijacking this thread from the original poster.

On tap...a few fatty's for an Easter brunch.

Return to Pellet