Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 14th, 2018, 8:27 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I just used Herb's method of reverse searing a ribeye. Best damn steak I've had in a long time. Wife raved over them and she's one of those that doesn't particularly like to eat red meat. Said she'd eat steaks all the time if they always tasted like this. :shock:

I do have a question regarding the process. The instructions said to remove the lower grates and put GrillGrates on the chimney side until searing time. Is there a reason the lower grates would have to be removed? Could they be left in and just stacked to one side?

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!
March 16th, 2018, 11:28 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Depending on how you "stack" the grates, the lid may not close.

I move the grill grates over to the right to keep them from interfering with the temperature during the smoking portion of the process, then move them to the left during the searing part of the process to make use of their ability to amplify the heat from the heat diffuser plate.

Yoder_Herb
March 26th, 2018, 2:18 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Can the original grates be used as direct grilling grates if you don't have GrillGrates?

March 26th, 2018, 2:42 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Dr ROK wrote:Can the original grates be used as direct grilling grates if you don't have GrillGrates?

if you remove the heat diffuser and do not have the optional grill grates, the heat will affect the thermocouple directly, and the controller will not be able to properly function and control the temperature in the cooker.

If you have the 2 piece diffuser, and remove the door, the original grates may be used, but, as with removing the entire diffuser, the grates may become discolored and the chrome surface damaged, as well as allowing all dripping grease and cooking debris directly into the bottom of the cooker.

Yoder_Herb
March 26th, 2018, 2:47 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Thanks for the speedy response Herb! One more question, I have shorter GrillGrates, but they are not long enough to fit where the original grates set. Can they be place directly on the diffuser with the door removed?

March 26th, 2018, 2:49 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Dr ROK wrote:Thanks for the speedy response Herb! One more question, I have shorter GrillGrates, but they are not long enough to fit where the original grates set. Can they be place directly on the diffuser with the door removed?

Yes, but you risk damaging the finish on the chrome grates.

Yoder_Herb
March 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I'm not planning on using the chrome grates, there would only be the aluminum GrillGrates setting directly on the diffuser stretched across the door opening. Will that work?

March 26th, 2018, 3:04 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Never did that, but it would sure limit the usable grilling area to just the door opening. The grill grates have a melt point of somewhere over 1200 degrees.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet