Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 5th, 2014, 6:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Just smoked some BB Ribs. The 3 rack pack from Sam's. Looked up a few recipes was going to follow a 3-2-1 @ 240. Used a rub with a Mustard base and added some Brown Sugar. Spritzed every hour for the first 3.

Foiled with some butter and Apple Juice after 3 and put back for 1.5.

Was going to do the last hour or less with some sauce and out of the foil.

Opened the foil and the ribs were breaking apart and the bones just pulled right out.

Flavor is good, but not the texture.

Any thoughts?

Lower cooking temp? Less time?

Using Apple Wood Pellets.

Thanks,

Richie

September 5th, 2014, 6:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

The 3-2-1 method is for spare ribs. For BBs use a 2-2-1 method but check the foil after about an 1.5hr for tenderness. Depending if you like fall of the bone or pull of the bone, judge rather to leave them foiled or start the glaze. Remember they will tenderize a little more after you take them out of the foil and start the glaze process.

September 5th, 2014, 6:43 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I don't do the foil thing anymore when I cook ribs for the family. I cook them at 275 degrees for about 4 hours, give or take, until the ribs are about 192 to 195 degrees, AND, a toothpick pushes between the bones without resistance.

The things to remember when cooking, is that time is not the absolute indicator of when the meat is done. The true indicators are internal temperature to get you into your target range and ultimately the desired tenderness of the meat. If you attempt to cook by time alone, you will give yourself ulcers.

Yoder_Herb
September 5th, 2014, 10:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the tips...

Richie

September 5th, 2014, 10:46 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Like Burbs said, 3-2-1 is used for spares and usually at a pit temp of about 225-230. Baby Backs will typically cook about an hour or so faster. Cooking at 240 will accelerate it a bit more. Try the 2-2-1 mentioned above if you want to foil and then adjust as necessary the next time.

If you don't want to foil, another way of testing for doneness is the bend test. Using your tongs, pick the rack up lengthwise so half the rack is not supported by the tongs. If it bends nicely to where the rack just starts to crack then they are done.

The 192 or so temp also works well if you have a thermapen to check temps with. If you dont have a thermapen it gets a bit harder to check. For the longest time I could not figure out why my ribs were not doing well in competition. One comp I decided to check the temp of them and cook them to 192-195 like I do my butts. What I found was that I was undercooking my ribs. Once I cooked them to 192-195, my scores improved immediately.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
September 10th, 2014, 9:16 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Herb,

Tried the no foil method yesterday.... Worked well.

275 for 3.5 Hours did the trick.... Ribs were at temp in 3 Hours, but I wanted to sauce them so I dropped the temp down to 225 for the final half our while the sauce glazed. Ribs looked fantastic and tasted pretty darn good too... Not where the need to be yet, but getting much closer.Thanks for the input.

Richie

September 10th, 2014, 9:20 am
Site AdminSite Admin

Awesome!

Yoder_Herb
September 10th, 2014, 2:11 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Ever do Brisket Flats without Foiling?

Richie

September 10th, 2014, 2:38 pm
* Durnago ** Durnago *

I don't always foil, but I will if the food is running behind and I need to speed them up. Sometimes it depends on my mood and what kind of final product I'm looking to get. You get a great bark, and the brisket will taste more traditional and less like a roast if you don't foil. However, with barbecue, there is no "right" way. Try for yourself and see which way you like best. Everyone has different preferences.

September 11th, 2014, 12:32 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Diverreb1 wrote:Ever do Brisket Flats without Foiling?

Richie

I don't do brisket flats anymore, period...unless I'm making a corned beef or pastrami. I only do full packers. Prefer the point/deckle anyway and I was having trouble keeping the flats moist while smoking them long enough to get to the internal temp I was after. The flats around me are all pre-trimmed so they don't leave enough fat on them for them to cook well in a smoker environment. I buy full packers at either Costco or Restaurant Depot usually and just cook the whole thing.

Lots of folks like to use kraft/butcher paper over foil. I've used both and can't tell a huge difference, but I would say that I prefer butcher paper to foil if they're going to sit for a while after cooking. They seem to hold together a bit better for me with the butcher paper over the foil.

Good luck!

September 12th, 2014, 11:21 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

BB ribs can come in diff thickness too. You can buy some that have the loin fully cut off and thin across the full length. Some have the some of the loin attached at the smaller rib section when the rib is smaller and shorter, you need more time and pay attention to hot spots on the smoker, put the thicker spots to the hotter side. I buy mine at Costco in bulk and they are thick at the shorter rib side. If they are the thin ones you need less time.

Foiling i a good thing. If you want to make them 'softer, then foiling is fine. If you want a bit of 'pull' as you bite then a short foil time is fine. You just have to figure out what you want in your ribs.

Me? I did the foil a few times, the pain in the ass of foiling each rack while you have friends over and the cost of the foil etc and pouring stuff on the ribs as I foil is a PITA.

I just cook them no foil, have a spritz on the into the 3rd hour, a slight sauce rub at 4 hours, and serve when they have the bend/break test I'm looking for.

Foiling is good, depends on your final result. Home cookin' for a party? No foil, no need.

September 13th, 2014, 12:34 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I don't foil ribs. I smoke at 225 and it often goes for 6 hrs until they pass the "break test" I then take them out and sauce them and hit them with the roofer's torch....think propane torch on 500,000 BTU steroids. I like to do this just before I serve them so it impresses all. So if that is still an hour or two away I put them in the "faux cambro" (foil/towel wrap in my insulted cooler).

I salt lightly the night before after trimming and removing the silverskin. Then right before they go on I oil them with canola and put on the no-salt dust I am using...No spritzing as I don't want to interfere with my bark....

Just me!

Dances with lemmings

Check out the best BBQ music ever at "Removed by Moderator"

Return to Pellet