Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 3rd, 2018, 4:05 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Simple question. I have a 640, and have only burned BBQers Delight pellets, different species/flavors, and have had no problem. Have a local store offering pellets from Smokin Brothers. These pellets are 100% flavor wood, not the 2/3 Oak, 1/3 flavor wood that BBQers Delight are. Has anyone tried the Smokin Brothers pellets? I would assume That 100% flavor may be a good thing
Thanks.

January 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

if it has no oak it will have less BTUs Or could be. Pure wood has two parts. The dried main part and the bark. Bark has flavor, lots of it, each type has flavor. Dirty bark, not washed can have all sorts of fun stuff.

The key is what does Smokin Brothers offer? Is it just the interior wod or does it have bark?

For example I use Lumberjack. All I have here. $15 no tx 20 lb. They have pure woods, but I buy the mix. They use wood no bark for the oak in the mixes with bark apple/maple/cherry. The flavored woods they add bark, which is where the flavor is.

It's a complicated world. Some even are happy with quality heating pellets, cheap, but many of them are vendors that sell smoked meat, cost matters due to the tons of pellets they use. Customers are happy with the product. In Texas, many top places use oly post oak. Now you decide.

It's complicated., a few years and a few smoking forums visited weekly should help.

January 5th, 2018, 5:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the input. I went ahead and purchased a 20lb bah of Smokin Brothers Apple pellets, $20.60 after tax. After reading up, I decided that even though they may put out less BTUs, stronger smoke flavor may take precedence. It was worth the price just to do a little experimentation. 100% flavor wood is a pretty good selling point. I also agree that oak as a base wood, and whatever flavor wood is chosen will still turn out a damn fine finished product. I refuse to buy the Wal-Mart stuff, as friends use them and the bags I've seen emptied into hoppers were full of dust.

January 5th, 2018, 7:15 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

i use a mi8x type and a tube I fill with flavored wood pure pellets. Apple, Alder (fish}, Maple and hickory (Jerky). I agree refusing the stuff from walmart, but if you live up north I have seen some good pellets for MUCH less than you pay.

I belong to a good pellet users place.

March 29th, 2018, 10:03 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

blawson66801 wrote: I refuse to buy the Wal-Mart stuff, as friends use them and the bags I've seen emptied into hoppers were full of dust.

If you can find B & B Pellets at Walmart, they are BBQr's Delight pellets. I know this, as the owner of BBQr's Delight is an active member of another forum I frequent. I was asking about dealers closer to my home in western NE. She told me to wait till they became available at Walmart.

Yoder 640 on a Husker themed comp cart. Go Big Red!

Return to Pellet