Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
September 3rd, 2014, 7:56 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I decided to throw some Sausages on the 640 this evening and noticed the controller do something.

I fired up the cooker and left it set for 350. When it reached 326, the controller jumped from 326 to 360 in about 30-45 seconds. Once it hit 360 it proceeded to drop back down to 335 in about a minute then started to climb again. It climbed to 345 and then within 30 seconds dropped back to 338 and then climbed up to 350.

Anyone notice their controller jump around like this?

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5
September 3rd, 2014, 8:28 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I haven't seen the controller on mine bounce around like that, but I'm wondering if what you're actually seeing is just the display cycling between actual temp and set temp as the smoker is going through the warm up mode, even though it shouldn't be displaying set temp at those temp ranges. Do you have any temp probe wires running under the lid? Have you read Herb's post on temp variations on this forum? Worth checking all his points to see if any of those might be contributors to the problem. Doesn't seem to exactly cover all the symptoms you're reporting but it's the best answer I can come up with. Sorry. If Herb, Josh and Kirby don't have any better info for you, you can definitely call Yoder Cust Svc. They'll take care of you.

September 3rd, 2014, 9:16 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Do you typically leave it plugged in? Have you tried to unplug it for a minute or two and plug it back in (not while cooking of course)? I've had a couple of weird things happen with my controllers over a couple of years, but unplugging and plugging it back in pretty much takes care of it. That's a common troubleshooting step for most electronics.

It may be something more, but I'd try this first.

Yoder Smokers YS1500, Yoder Smokers 24" Firepot, Yoder Smokers YS640 CompCart(sold)
September 3rd, 2014, 9:37 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

On page 21 of the YS640 manual, it states that the cooker must be unplugged from power after use. Definitely something strange going on, because the display is a 90 second rolling average, and shouldn't act the way it was explained. Unplugging is the right thing to try in this case.

Yoder_Herb
September 3rd, 2014, 10:17 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

It wasn't the display cycling between the set temp and actual temp, it was the actual temp bouncing around as it was coming up to temp. I have to run a cord from the garage (30 ft I believe) so I do unplug it after every use. I wouldn't think the use of the cord would be an issue. It did run perfectly after it got done jumping around. I do remember it doing this a couple weeks ago but thought it was related somehow to the fact my auger had loosened up and was not working quite right. I will keep an eye on it and see if I notice it again.

Mike
Eagle River Barbecue

YS640 Comp Cart
Stumps Platinum 5

Return to Pellet