Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 28th, 2017, 10:29 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My two piece diffuser played is starting to rust I was wondering if anybody had similar issues? Also if anyone had any suggestions to prevent it in the future.

November 28th, 2017, 11:34 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Let it get covered in fat from the cooking? It's a smoker so let things get a bit dirty. I scrape mine off and wipe with paper towels. That's it. Once a year I'll do a clean with a brush and a bit of soap during the annual clean, but it's usually always oily. The rust ain't gonna hurt a single thing, so I wouldn't worry about it.

November 29th, 2017, 9:09 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The internal surfaces of the cooker must be seasoned, and kept seasoned, or they will rust. If you are covering everything in foil, completely washing the internal surfaces, or only use the cooker occasionally, you will more than likely see rust forming inside the cooker on the internal surfaces. In any case, you need to keep the internal surfaces covered with the oil/grease from cooking, or put oil on the surfaces, i.e., spray canola oil, etc.

The best course of action is to cook more often, scrape the internal surfaces of the excess grease and cooking debris, and if there are times when the seasoning is burned away, spray them with canola oil (or some other high temp oil - NOT olive oil).

Yoder_Herb
December 1st, 2017, 9:08 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Sooo... The owner keeps quiet. How many times have we seen that? That owner is another great sucker of info on this site. We called them vampires in the PC building days. Show up, we spend or time to help them, they suck up the info. Poof, gone. He's realized he is wrong or is off on a oil rig . Dunno, I'll give him a small bit of slack.

It's one reason many folks don't post. Why bother. The Vampires don't care.

December 4th, 2017, 10:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks for the advise. I actually did read the post from my vampire lair. I’ve been using foil on the defuser plate which is probably my issue. I think I’ll just season it will some oil after it gets get heated up on my next cook and stop using the foil.

December 5th, 2017, 12:19 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Thanks for replying! I used foil for the first 2 years or so. I had seasoned it before so never had rust. That said, I live in a dry desert so rust is as rare as rain. I just got tired of foiling it one day and didn't foil. Now, I have a 3" wide metal scraper, I take the door off and scrape it into the opening, then vacuum it out when I vacuum the pot and surrounding area. I don't remove the full plate to clean every cook, just make sure the fire area is cleaned out.

Return to Pellet