Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
October 27th, 2017, 4:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey guys- new here and just trying to figure all this out. My questions for today-
-what brands of pellets do you prefer and why? Are the really that big of differences?
-also, other than general recommendations of certain pellet flavors with certain meats, is there a more specific list that breaks down what tastes one type of pellets will produce vs others (cherry vs hickory) or?

Appreciate the input!

Go ASTROS!!!

October 28th, 2017, 10:29 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Can't really discuss the other brands except what they sell.

November 1st, 2017, 8:09 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Re-post
My 2014 Yoder YS640 pellet review for year 2016…
Ambient conditions varied thought the year (Charlotte NC).
• 17 degrees was the lowest ambient temperatures during a long cook
• 94 degrees was the highest
• Wind and humidity varied but highest sustained winds for a long cook were during hurricane Matthew at over 50 mph with 98% humidity.

620# of pellets used during the year 2016 with an average burn (hopper set at 225- 250) over 2# per hour in cold conditions and less than 2# per hour in hot conditions. Winds over 10mph seemed to increase burn rates more than temperature. Most efficient cooks (1# per hr) were low and slow 225 deg during mid day sun, low/no winds above 90 deg ambient.
• 120# Cooking pellets PM: All flavor-wood(amazon)
o Temps varied slightly with medium ash
o Readily available at under $2/pound delivered
• 120# Lumberjack: Hickory, Cherry (local)
o Good results but seemed to burn fast
o Readily available at over $2/pound
• 120# BnB: Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Pecan, Jack Daniel’s (now local academy sports)
o Steady cooking temperatures with low ash (similar to BBQ delight)
o Hard to get and over $1.50/pound in store
• 260# BBQ delight: Hickory, Cherry (web)
o Steady cooking temperatures with low ash
o Readily available at under $2/pound delivered (not anymore now over $2/pound)
Available at all things BBQ but you need to order a pallet to get the price down

The most constant cooking temperatures were achieved using BBQ delight. They are 75% oak based with 25% flavor-wood and provided the lowest ash from any of the others sampled because oak provides a high BTU constant. I have settled in on the BBQ delight as my go to pellet but will add a layer of the cooking pellets PM from time to time to dirty up the smoke for shorter cooks (burgers). The difference in burn efficiency is also seen when using an amaz-smoke-tube; the PM puts off more creosote (shiny black on smoker lid) than BBQ delight. BBQ delight is also the go pellet of Yoder during their testing and cooking so you could say the YS640 was calibrated using BBQ delight.

UPDATE... now using the BnB brand from academy sports. Store carries them at $14 for 20# bags. BnB is supposed to be from the same makers of the BBQ delight with the same oak base with flavor wood ratio and seem to perform to the same standards. I love that I have a local store that carries them!

November 4th, 2017, 8:53 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

My go-to is Lumberjack. If you can team up with some other folks and buy in bulk you can save a TON. I pay $17.50 for a 20lb bag. BBQ's Delight is the only other brand I will use.

November 4th, 2017, 11:44 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Wow, not sure where you live patrick but I live near Seattle, buy in bulk and pay right around $14.25 a 40 lb bag. I too have done my due diligence and come to the conclusion that Lumberjack are what work best for me. Tried most everything out there. You can pay less or more and usually get what you pay for. Seeing as though I am onto my third ton and like most both quality and price are my two main considerations...I will stay with Lumberjack.

Return to Pellet