Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
July 26th, 2017, 5:09 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi all,
I am a new owner of a Yoder YS1500 moving up from a Traeger.
I'll be cookin up 9 slabs of St Louis ribs and a slew of chicken thighs on Saturday for my wife's birthday party.
Should I handle anything differently or expect anything different using the Yoder rather than the Traeger,
or the cooking process is pretty much the same? I don't want to screw things up!
Oh, and thanks for having me here. I hope to become a better smoker/griller!
Jonathan

July 26th, 2017, 8:32 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post so here goes.
Besides the different smoker, This is the first time I'll be smoking two different meats at the same time. St Louis ribs, and chicken thighs.
I've never done chicken before. Any suggesstions as to a cooking plan for the two meats would be greatly appreciated..

July 27th, 2017, 8:39 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Cook ribs as normal. Chicken is like a slow oven roast time due to the lower temps, so look up cooking times for that. I'd say 2 hrs to 165f internal for individual parts. You won't get crispy skin like cooking at 350-375. Put the chicken on the hotter side usually on the lower right on a pellet smoker. Use same pellets for chicken like cherry/maple/apple you would for ribs.

Crisp up the skin in the oven or grill if you need to at 375 for 15 min once chicken hit 150.

I like to smoke whole chickens, about 3 hrs I think. I do up to 9 at once with my YS640, Once the chickens are done I'll cool, break them down, a few cut in half and vacupack, the rest I'll keep as breasts, and thigh leg portions, some I'll peel into pieces and vacupack. All the ones and skin I'll make the most awesome chicken stock and do 1 cup baggies for the freezer.

I put rub on the chickens on the inside/outside, a 1/4 of onion/lemon, fresh thyme and cook breast side up, rotating locations every hour till done due to the hotter sides Left to right and top shelf. The stuff in the chicken goes in the stock pot for stock.

Return to Pellet