Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
June 6th, 2017, 5:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Had something happen really strange Sunday on my 640. I had grilled hamburgers and steaks a couple nights before and decided to smoke ribs (St Louis) I had my grill grates installed across entire pit. Instead of changing back to the regular grid I left them in. Was using top shelf anyway. The other thing I did was rotate my chimney about 40% pointing out. I have smoker under a porch cover and with the chimney straight up it was starting to leave soot mark on top.

Long story short I had an off cook. Normally never have trouble with ribs and always cook at 275. Had a hard time getting them done, they were tougher than usual, pit didn't even seem as hot. (Didn't verify with external). Is it possible leaving those grates on somehow threw off the pit, or the adjusting of the chimney? Just looking for answers. Thanks!!

June 6th, 2017, 5:41 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The optional grill grates should only be in the cooker when you are grilling at higher temperatures. Not removing them will have a detrimental effect on the performance of the cooker, especially the upper shelf, as they block air flow/heat.

Yoder_Herb
June 7th, 2017, 12:05 am
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I think they also throw off the thermocouple readings as the aluminum holds so much heat... I couldn't​ keep mine running below 200° until I removed the grillgrates (only the left side was in, smoking some fish on the right side)

June 7th, 2017, 3:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks! I had a feeling it was something like that. 640 is too predictable and that was the only variable from norm. Happy Smoking!

Return to Pellet