Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 23rd, 2017, 8:11 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So I'm going to be doing a brisket and pork butt on Sunday, any one have any feedback with doing these two meats at the same time? I'm using a ys640. I have a general idea but have never done both at the same time. Full packer brisket and 7 to 8 pound butt.

May 23rd, 2017, 10:26 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

I would focus on the brisket and let the pork come along for the ride. Pork is very forgiving. On both meats, watch the internal closely as a gauge. When the brisket hits 188 start probing with a toothpick and when it slides in and out like butter it's done. For the pork, once you hit 195ish, she is done. If there is a bone it should pull out.

As far as when to put on.... it all depends on if you are going to wrap either meat during the cook. I think of wrapping as "speeding things up". Totally safe to do, but some think it's not necessary.

In the end, go by temp and adjust. If one meat is going too fast, then wrap the other meat, or turn temp down and still wrap the other one. Remember, if stored correctly, you can hold meat safely for a few short hours. So, aim for your pork to get done first. It will hold hot and rest nice. Brisket is not very forgiving after a couple hours of rest. Focus on a good brisket!

In the end, go with the flow and don't make major adjustments.

May 23rd, 2017, 11:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

How long is too long of a rest for the brisket? Because the last one I did I think it was in the cooler for about two and a half hours. It wasn't as tender as I would have liked. Could resting to long have caused that or was it simply I took it off to soon. I probed and temp was around 203 or so in the flat. I wasnt quit sure how it should have felt since I'm still learning. Have maybe did only 6 briskets so far.

May 24th, 2017, 6:09 pm
* Cheyenne ** Cheyenne *

Man, that's a tough one. I think your rest should have been fine. Are you resting wrapped? I, personally, wouldn't let rest much longer than that, but others might feel differently.

Why was your meat tough? Well, it's anyone's guess. Like I said, I like to probe with a toothpick around 188. If it's not butter, then I'll close the lid and try in 30 minutes. Still not like butter, then maybe another 30. I feel like I never hit 200 on a brisket. I'm not saying 200 is overdone by any means. It just seem like I find it most tender before it hits it.

Other reason for a tough meat was the cow. If the cow was stressed when it was put down, or wasn't put down cleanly, it can destroy a cut like that. I don't know if it's hormones or what, but I've heard that there is a lot of credibility to that belief. Regardless, there are some variables that are out of your control.

Keep practicing. If you didn't like it, then try something slightly different next time. I wouldn't make a lot of changes, but change something! Also, remember to slice against the grain. That will limit the toughness a lot.

May 24th, 2017, 6:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks a lot for the info. I will be going tomorrow morning and purchasing the brisket. Hopefully the cook goes well. If it looks good I'll post pics. And also yes I wrapped the brisket the last half of the cook and rested in the wrap in the cooler. Thanks again for the tips. Always learning in the cooking world.

Return to Pellet