Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
May 1st, 2017, 8:46 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I chose a pork shoulder (bone-in) as my first smoke with my new Yoder YS640 as I knew my family of 5 had thoroughly enjoyed pulled pork when I made it on my Pit Barrel Cooker. I have to admit it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but I also realize there are some things (mistakes) I made that didn't help matters.

I selected a 9 1/2lb. bone-in from my local butcher (first mistake?). In reading various blogs, I learned that a 7-8 lb. is a more ideal size as it's more challenging to smoke larger ones like what I chose. I rubbed it with a KC rub that I had used before and the family really liked. I started things at 11:30PM Friday night with a 180F set point, moved to 225F around 7 1/2 hours into it and finished it off at 270F after I foiled it.

Around 3:00AM, a nasty lightning storm passed through. For some reason, my "Smoke" thermometer (for air temp. inside the Yoder) went haywire, spiking and setting off the high temperature alarm on it, even though the Yoder was humming along at 180F. I pulled it out, wiped it down and set it up again, and all was fine for the rest of the smoke.

When I foiled it, I put about a 1/4 cup of apple juice on/around it, took the IT to 195 and let it rest in a cooler for 1 hour. The total cook/smoke time on the Yoder from beginning to end was about 16 hours...Yikes!!!!!

POSSIBLE BIGGEST MISTAKE
It dawned on me when there was about 1 hour remaining in the smoke that my damper was all the way in...in the grilling/searing position. CRAP!!! When looking at the Yoder, the natural (visually appealing?) position is to have it pushed all the way in. I'm not sure how detrimental to the smoke this was, but given I used ALLOT more pellets than I anticipated (I mixed 50% Traeger Hickory and 50% Traeger Cherry pellets) I question if this is why. I probably used at least 25lbs. to do the smoke (outside temperature was around 68F - 75F most of the time).

TASTE
I really was not impressed with the taste. Honestly, the meat seemed a little too soggy to me even though my wife liked it and the more internal meat did not have enough flavor IMO. There was some bark, but not as much as I like, which is partially due to the apple juice I foiled it with. My family seemed to like it, and "Dodger" (my Golden doodle) really liked it as he decided to eat 1/2 of the remaining pulled pork off the platter when we were not looking. We felt uncomfortable keeping the remaining, knowing where Dodger's tongue goes sometimes. Unbelievable!

So as I think about my first experience, for my next round of pulled pork...

(1) I'm going to have the damper in the proper position.
(2) I'll go with a 6-7 lb. one, possibly boneless as I don't want to deal with the bone. I had done boneless picnic on my Pit Barrel Booker and thoroughly enjoyed the taste and amount of bark it produced. If I foil for the 165F - 195F portion of the smoke, I will probably NOT add any juice.
(3) Given I like a strong smoke flavor, I might consider adding a smoker tube (Ama-zen?) possibly using mesquite pellets in it as I understand mesquite to be very strong.
(4) Start the smoke out at 225F.
(5) I'm considering NOT foiling the drip pan. I question the point in it as it could negatively impact the heating and intended design. For this smoke, I wrapped it with about 1" around the underside, but it still got discolored, so I think I'm willing to deal with scrubbing / wire brushing the drip pan when I'm done using it. I guess I don't care enough about the visual aesthetics of it that much.

I would love for those reading this to weigh on with their thoughts and any other suggestions they might have for me.

May 1st, 2017, 8:09 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

You'll get better next time. Butts should be taken to higher than 195, IMHO.

What do you compare your butts to? What have you cooked on before?

If you want stronger smoke flavor from past cooks you have done I'm sure it's a over smoking issue, where you didn't have good smoke, your smoke was white and full of creosote. SO you got lots of bitter real smoke flavor I don't know what your previous smoking device was.

Mesquite is really strong, that's your choice.

Most put lots of rub on a butt, get a wonderful bark, and don't foil till 160-to 170. I don't inject, I have foiled. My set temp is 250f.

I start at 9:00 to 9:30 PM, on the fire around 9:30-10:00 PM. I have done 6 butts at the same time again and again. I get up at 3 AM, check pellets, rotate butts, and up again at 6-7 AM. Check temps on the meat. Wrap when ready 165 or so. First butts are done at 10:30 or so to 12PM or so. Into the cooler to rest. Make phone calls for pickup. Folks wait till I'm making pork butts, the twice a year thing. I cook two for me to vacupack. I have done two for me and 16 more over the next 3 weekends to keep my friends in butts 6 at a time.

Dunno what you want. Keep at it.

I foil. Gets discolored? It's a smoker. You want to take a grinder to the diffuser plate (not a drip pan) (might want to read the manual, I did 3-4 times BEFORE my cooker arrived, duh) that's up to you. No reason to clean it that good. Buy a 2" stiffy from McMaster Carr to scrape the diffuser plate, no need to grind, it's not a hospital kitchen.

May 30th, 2017, 2:26 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I foil the diffuser plate as well makes cleanup easy

June 1st, 2017, 4:57 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Smoked two of the best butts I've had this past weekend on my 640. Here are my steps.
1. Purchased a two pack from Sams
2.For the first time, I really spent some time trimming the butts like I watched Chef Tom in one of his videos. Although it took considerable amount of weight off, when I pulled it, it allowed all of the good bark to stay intact and not slough off with the fat.
3. Little bit of apple juice injection
4. Rubbed one with a sweet rub and one with a bbq rub
5. Covered in the fridge for 24 hours
6. Put them on the second shelf of the smoker (Damper in so that 8" of bar is exposed, not including handle)
7. Temp set at 255. This gave me a second shelf reading on the Tappecue of 225-230
8. Looked at the hopper a couple of times and "stirred" it with my hand to keep the auger full.
9. Removed them at 205, wrapped in foil and in a cooler to rest for about 2.5 hours.

Just my steps but I was very happy with the flavor (Lumberjack Pecan, Hickory mix), bark, and guest reaction.

-Curly

April 18th, 2020, 4:48 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Best smoker. You need to buy the ideal and best kitchen Smoker. Here you can get the best reviews of it.

Return to Pellet