Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 29th, 2017, 6:17 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

My new yoder showed up a couple days ago and there is a black gasket around the door. I thought they didnt come with a gasket? Am I crazy or what? Im glad its on there though.

May 1st, 2017, 11:40 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jeremy,

What is your 640 date of manufacture? I picked my 640 up 1 week ago (date of manufacture is 14FEB2017) and there were no gaskets on the door.

May 1st, 2017, 12:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Mine showed up last week, with a build date of 04-14-17 and no gasket. I notice some (not crazy amounts) of smoke coming from around the whole door area when shut and wondered if a gasket would help (or just need more smokes to build up the "crust to help seal it up).

-SW2

May 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

A bit of smoke isn't an issue. The pellet smoker is a forced air cooker and not convection like a hard to maintain not auto smoker. Not an issue at all. That said, I bought Nomex 3/4" wide tape and put it on the door and around chimney. Still there 3+years. Clean it like a surgeon, if you do it early it'll say. Alcohol for the final clean.

It's not an issue so don't worry about it if you don't by the Nomex

May 2nd, 2017, 6:25 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

According to the tag on the lid it says 4-4-17. The gasket is black and its all around the edge on the inside of the door itself.

May 3rd, 2017, 2:39 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hi Jeremy640,

could you take some pictures of the gasket? Cause I am really curious about that gasket.

THX

LASSE

May 3rd, 2017, 8:51 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *
May 3rd, 2017, 9:47 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

okay, that is very interesting! I don`t have such a gasket at the door... Where did you buy your YS?

May 3rd, 2017, 8:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That would be nice. Mine was 02-02-17. At least save the paint from getting scratched by the lid.

May 3rd, 2017, 9:09 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Herb,

Is this new? Can we order from the factory??

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
May 4th, 2017, 5:58 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I made the decision to install the 1/8" door gasket and hinge shims two weeks ago. We routinely received request for a gasket or a way to mitigate the smoke seepage around the door. We never found this to effect the performance of the pit, but after enough request we found this was what the consumers wanted. The gasket will also prevent the metal to metal contact around the door frame. This will should reduce the paint rubbing we see around the door when the cookers are new. This was a running change and all cookers (YS640 & YS480) will have these installed from the factory.
We will be offering a upgrade kit next week for owners without the gasket. The kit will be $18.95 shipped USPS, you can upgrade the shipping to FedEx or UPS for 5.95 if you want faster delivery and tracking information.

You can email or call customer service to order a kit. (We wont be shipping any of these until mid-next week).

We are always listening and looking to improve our products. Thanks for choosing to cook on a Yoder

Best Regards,

Joe Phillips

May 4th, 2017, 6:56 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Cool, thats good to know, and like I said, I am very happy it is on there. I was starting to think I was going insane lol.

May 4th, 2017, 7:54 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Awesome news! Thanks Yoder!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
May 4th, 2017, 10:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Joe wrote:I made the decision to install the 1/8" door gasket and hinge shims two weeks ago. We routinely received request for a gasket or a way to mitigate the smoke seepage around the door. We never found this to effect the performance of the pit, but after enough request we found this was what the consumers wanted. The gasket will also prevent the metal to metal contact around the door frame. This will should reduce the paint rubbing we see around the door when the cookers are new. This was a running change and all cookers (YS640 & YS480) will have these installed from the factory.
We will be offering a upgrade kit next week for owners without the gasket. The kit will be $18.95 shipped USPS, you can upgrade the shipping to FedEx or UPS for 5.95 if you want faster delivery and tracking information.

You can email or call customer service to order a kit. (We wont be shipping any of these until mid-next week).

We are always listening and looking to improve our products. Thanks for choosing to cook on a Yoder

Best Regards,

Joe Phillips

Dang... missed the boat by a few days (04.14.17 build date). :(

-Sw2

May 5th, 2017, 5:59 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Mine shipped 5-4 and is curently in transit. Assuming it will have the gasket and hinge shims. Thank you, Yoder.

May 5th, 2017, 6:54 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

so would this gasket help with the issue of grease running down the front of the pit below the door?

May 5th, 2017, 9:00 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Potentially, yes. Dripping down the front can come from more than just the lid, i.e., juice from meat put in and taken off the cooker, spritzing/spraying/mopping liquid into the cooker, etc.

Yoder_Herb
May 6th, 2017, 7:30 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Joe wrote:I made the decision to install the 1/8" door gasket and hinge shims two weeks ago. We routinely received request for a gasket or a way to mitigate the smoke seepage around the door. We never found this to effect the performance of the pit, but after enough request we found this was what the consumers wanted. The gasket will also prevent the metal to metal contact around the door frame. This will should reduce the paint rubbing we see around the door when the cookers are new. This was a running change and all cookers (YS640 & YS480) will have these installed from the factory.

Best Regards,

Joe Phillips

I'll be ordering this very soon! Thanks Joe!

May 6th, 2017, 11:40 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Since mine is coming in next week it should have the gasket. Good to know.

May 9th, 2017, 4:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

brisket_bark wrote:so would this gasket help with the issue of grease running down the front of the pit below the door?

Ive only done 2 smokes so far but I dont get much running down the outside of the grill. I did have a couple spots running down though, I just wipe them when I see them, just a little extra seasoning on the outside is all.

May 11th, 2017, 6:33 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Received my YS480 yesterday with gasket on the door. Build date 4/17/2017.

Did the initial burn and cooked a pizza. Have a lot of learning to do.

Return to Pellet