Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
April 3rd, 2017, 1:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey guys. My brother in law asked me to cook for a party of about 60 people in June. I plan to trailer my ys640 to his house the night before. I was thinking of doing both baby backs and butts but I am not sure that I can fit enough of each in that grill. I won't be getting it until May. He is also going to grill a bunch of chicken thighs as well. I am wondering if I should just do all ribs or all butts rather than try to do both. What do you think?

April 3rd, 2017, 1:12 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The first question is whether the food will be served or if it will be buffet style. If served, the portion control makes the job easier. If buffet style, all bets are off on the required amount required.

Pork butts are the easiest, and will server the most people given the quantity cooked, taking into account the statement above. I have cooked 12 pork butts at one time on a YS640, but it requires more work to monitor, and rearrange during the cook.

Ribs are hard to judge, and for 60 people, depending on portion, you may need to cook and reheat, i.e., without rib racks you may get up to 12 racks on a YS640, but like the full load of pork butts, you will need to be on top of things, Now if each person will get 1/2 rack of ribs, that's 30 racks of ribs that are required. If each person is getting two ribs, assuming each rack has 10 bones, you would need a minimum of 12 racks of ribs.

Hope this helps.

Yoder_Herb
April 3rd, 2017, 1:23 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

That is why I think I am going to stick with all butts. I should have enough room in the grill for them. Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

Return to Pellet