Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 27th, 2017, 10:24 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Okay, so I have questions about temp and even temps on low and slow cooks.

I was advised by the dealer that if I want a slow and low cook that I need to pull the handle all the way out and a hot cook to push it all the way in. The handbook says a little differently anyone able to shed the correct info?

Second of all my first cook was last night and I cooked at 240 and it seemed to have eaten up a lot of pellets, 20 lbs in 7 hours?

Florida temps at night were 60s at some time fromn6:30pm when i started it and 4am the pellets ran out based on my temp chart.

Tonight I'm doing a brisket so I will better monitor the pellets better until I can find out why I am going through so much pellets.

March 28th, 2017, 11:58 am
Site AdminSite Admin

The sliding damper on my cooker is pulled all the way out, and never moves. Each cooker has it own "personality", so you will need to experiment for your personal needs. I find that pulling the handle all the way to the right and leaving it there works for me for low and slow and for grilling.

The cooker should burn any where from 1 to 4 pounds of pellets an hour. In Florida temps, I would guess it should be around 1 1/2 to 2 pounds an hour, at a cooking temperature of 240 degrees.

The factory uses BBQR's Delight pellets for programming, testing and cooking. I use the same brand, but mix cherry and pecan into a 50/50 mix for all my cooking.

Yoder_Herb
March 28th, 2017, 8:21 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

5" in is my setting for every cook, including sear for steaks. I think your salesman should read this forum more and see what others has done as a service to his/hers customers. Might be a $7.99 an hour guy that has never used a pellet grill. Lots like wandering car salespersons who wander between the dealerships with no clue.

Return to Pellet