Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
March 14th, 2017, 3:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I just ordered my new ys640 so while I'm waiting on it to get here I figured I needed to get some accessories. I ordered the diffuser with access door and the grill grates and griddle. I didn't order a cover because I plan on this being underneath my porch. I already have a thermapen but I need some type of wireless setup Anyone have any recommendations on those? Also what about these frog mats I keep reading about are they a must have, and if so what size for the Yoder. If you can think of anything else that you have found handy please let me know. Thanks

March 14th, 2017, 6:41 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Welcome to the group! Congrats!

Here is a post I did earlier when I first got my cooker with some cool ideas. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=877

Also, as far as accessories go I would recommend an A-MAZE-N tube. I don't have frog mats but am looking at buying some. Get the half and full size second shelf - I use both freqently. If you grill veggies frequently a good veggie grill tray is a must.

As far as a wireless setup I would recommend the Thermoworks Smoke. http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid= ... aQodvHULzA

I have had an iGrill2 and loved the concept but hated the device, the smoke is way better. You know your termapen is badass... so is this!

Happy smoking!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
March 14th, 2017, 6:55 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Jfrederick wrote:Welcome to the group! Congrats!

Here is a post I did earlier when I first got my cooker with some cool ideas. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=877

Also, as far as accessories go I would recommend an A-MAZE-N tube. I don't have frog mats but am looking at buying some. Get the half and full size second shelf - I use both freqently. If you grill veggies frequently a good veggie grill tray is a must.

As far as a wireless setup I would recommend the Thermoworks Smoke. http://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke?gclid= ... aQodvHULzA

I have had an iGrill2 and loved the concept but hated the device, the smoke is way better. You know your termapen is badass... so is this!

Happy smoking!

Thank you very much! I'll check those out. Have you read or heard anything about the new Fireboard wireless thermometer? Looks like a good concept but if they go out of business I think you'd be stuck with just an expensive bluetooth thermometer. I may be wrong though, still reading up.

Let me ask you experts a question. Most of these only handle one piece of meat. What do you do if you are doing say 2 chickens or pork butts etc.

March 14th, 2017, 9:02 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I use a Thermapen instant read thermometer. I don't use any meat or cooker probes at all.

Yoder_Herb
March 14th, 2017, 10:13 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

To herbs point.. when I first started I used a wireless temp probe on every cook. After I gained some experience/confidence I stopped and used my thermapen, timer, feel and past cook notes to get it right. The only things I wirelessly temp now are briskets to make sure I wrap at the right time (and as I gain more experience I'll stop that also) and really temp sensitive meats like a prime rib or something like that.

The new temp device you're talking about is a Kickstarter start up that looks cool but I'm sticking with a company that does temp full time. Thermoworks is the best out there IMO.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
March 15th, 2017, 11:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

You both make good points. I'm nowhere near ready to just rely on a thermapen at this point though. On the smoke, can you actually monitor two pieces of meat if you just use each probe for that instead of one for grate temp? Also, one more thing, on the frogmat type things what is the best size for the 640? Do I want one that fits the entire length or two smaller ones? Hopefully someone that uses them can chime in.

March 16th, 2017, 6:47 am
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yes you can use each probe for meat as long as the probe is for meat. My old Maverick ET 372 had one pit and one meat probe. I bought spares so I have two meat probes. The meat probe can also do pit temps, but not as high. Say 400f max or so.

March 16th, 2017, 8:20 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum wrote:Yes you can use each probe for meat as long as the probe is for meat. My old Maverick ET 372 had one pit and one meat probe. I bought spares so I have two meat probes. The meat probe can also do pit temps, but not as high. Say 400f max or so.

So I would need to get another meat probe because I think it comes with a meat probe and one for pit temp. Thank you.

March 16th, 2017, 1:05 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The only difference in the probes is that one has a point end to plunge into meat. Other than that, the probes are identical in how they work.

Yoder_Herb
March 16th, 2017, 1:41 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:The only difference in the probes is that one has a point end to plunge into meat. Other than that, the probes are identical in how they work.

Thank you. I actually searched around and found some answers. I'll try to search from now on before asking.

March 16th, 2017, 1:49 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

If I was in the market to purchase a thermometer system, I would look for data logging, local storage preferred, a short time between readings (more data points - the one I use does one data per second, per probe but costs $1000), and a large number of probes. The one I use attaches directly to a laptop, which might not be a good fit for most owners, so one with Wi-Fi connectivity to local storage would be required.

Yoder_Herb
March 16th, 2017, 1:52 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:If I was in the market to purchase a thermometer system, I would look for data logging, local storage preferred, a short time between readings (more data points - the one I use does one data per second, per probe but costs $1000), and a large number of probes. The one I use attaches directly to a laptop, which might not be a good fit for most owners, so one with Wi-Fi connectivity to local storage would be required.

The new Fireboard does all this except letting you store locally I think. What other brands do you know of that allow local storage? I tried searching on google but that brings up a lot of regular wifi versions that don't actually data log.

March 16th, 2017, 1:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

I have heard great things about the fireboard, but don't have a real opinion as I have not used one.

Here is what I use for testing: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1392

Yoder_Herb
March 16th, 2017, 5:22 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Probes are delicate creatures. The best units are pretty much waterproof. The ET 72 is best not cleaned with water. You get water into the crimp between between the probe and wire, most likely bad. I have learned. I clean mine with my stainless Brillo pad I use to clean the grates, scrubbing the probe and wiping the rest all the way to where it enters my smoker. I then use a paper towel to wipe them off. They will be fine. Leave them in the smoker as things come up to temp and don't put the meat probe into the meat for an hour or so to let it sterilize and the meat exterior to get warm (above 140f) so if there are nasties on the outside you don't push nasties deep into the meat. Like chicken.

Having a good fast read digital probe like the Thermapen is a necessity of steaks and pretty much anything. A probe you leave in the meat for the full cook isn't checking all the spots. When I do 9 chickens for example, I'll check each chicken in the lower thigh towards the breast to ensure the meat is at 165f.

There are cheaper digitals than the Thermapen, it's just really really good and fast. Get the Red or Blue one, it's the fastest (Smokers joke)

Lastly, did you get probe ports ordered on yours? If not PM me I have a solution.

March 16th, 2017, 5:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Conumdrum wrote:Probes are delicate creatures. The best units are pretty much waterproof. The ET 72 is best not cleaned with water. You get water into the crimp between between the probe and wire, most likely bad. I have learned. I clean mine with my stainless Brillo pad I use to clean the grates, scrubbing the probe and wiping the rest all the way to where it enters my smoker. I then use a paper towel to wipe them off. They will be fine. Leave them in the smoker as things come up to temp and don't put the meat probe into the meat for an hour or so to let it sterilize and the meat exterior to get warm (above 140f) so if there are nasties on the outside you don't push nasties deep into the meat. Like chicken.

Having a good fast read digital probe like the Thermapen is a necessity of steaks and pretty much anything. A probe you leave in the meat for the full cook isn't checking all the spots. When I do 9 chickens for example, I'll check each chicken in the lower thigh towards the breast to ensure the meat is at 165f.

There are cheaper digitals than the Thermapen, it's just really really good and fast. Get the Red or Blue one, it's the fastest (Smokers joke)

Lastly, did you get probe ports ordered on yours? If not PM me I have a solution.

Great info there...thank you. I actually have a red thermapen lol, it's the fastest. All of them come with probe ports now.

Return to Pellet