Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 26th, 2017, 5:30 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

So I've had my 640 almost a year now and I'm trying to figure out a good mix of pellet flavor. I use BBQr's delight pellets and buy the three bags at ATBBQ. What I was buying was two bags pecan and one cherry and mixing all three together. Well my wife said she wants more smoke so I'm going to try one of each pecan, hickory, cherry mixed together and see how that works. So I'm just curious what others use, I've read that people use a 50/50 mix of pecan, cherry.

February 26th, 2017, 8:57 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

For years I've used straight hickory sawdust in my electric smoker for sausage and salmon. And, I bought a half pallet of hickory with a couple bags of pecan to try in my YS640. If I'm not mistaken, the BBQr's Delight pellets are 2/3 oak (BTU heat), and 1/3 flavor, which produces a milder smoke flavor. Maybe Herb or another member can confirm this. So far in my YS640, I've used hickory have had results better than ever. I'll eventually try other flavors for comparison. Also, I think pecan is somewhat milder than hickory, so maybe a switch to hickory might give you what you need. I wanted a little extra smoke flavor on my first attempt at a competition pork butt, and ordered one of the A-MAZE-IN pellet smokers on Amazon. The extra smoke from the smoldering pellets was perfect. Fully loaded, it smoked for at least 4-5 hours providing great flavor, the best smoke ring I've ever produced, and the mahogany color I was looking for.

February 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm
Site AdminSite Admin
February 26th, 2017, 8:44 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Hey Herb
Why can we not buy a pre mixed bag of pecan/cherry from ATBBQ?

February 26th, 2017, 9:19 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

The manufacturer doesn't bag them that way. I wish they would.

Yoder_Herb
February 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:This will help: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1365

Thanks
I already read that post, I was just curious what others used.

February 27th, 2017, 9:09 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

I use a mix brand. Lumberjack, maybe found as Q pellets. Same company.

They have two mixes I use. One is more of a Chicken pork mix, the other is better for beef. They use Oak for heat, and use Cherry, Maple, Hickory in % to make an economical good mix.

My main reason for using them is I live in Vegas. Not a lot of options, to ship a pallet of BBQ or other pure pellet brands is silly shipping, and I have no need for a pallet. I pay $0.75 a lb buying 3+ 20 lb bags no tax. I'd love to buy and mix BBQ Delight, but outta my price range.

Pellets I use seem to be low ash, burns wonderfully (used last 3 years) and It's what I use.

Check on your price and availability. Use Google. Find distributors in your area. I did, mine is 5 minutes away for me.

Return to Pellet