Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
February 14th, 2017, 7:49 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

All, I would like some advice on indirect grilling on my YS640.

I often do burger/dog cooks for our church youth group. I may do 50#-60# of burgers plus dogs in one cook. I have previously done this on an old gasser that the church owns but would like to try using the 640 because of the larger cooking surface available to me.

I have the two piece diffuser and 6 grill grates so I can set up about any way I need to.

I am thinking diffuser in with the door in for ease of cleanup afterward, baffle set "center" to try to keep temps close to equal across the grill grates and a 425F - 450F set temp.

I know the factory diffuser is not recommended above 400F but I'm not clear on the guidelines for the two piece with door in. Herb has said, I believe, with the door out "sky is the limit."

Thought and suggestions?

February 14th, 2017, 11:36 am
Site AdminSite Admin

I would leave the door in the diffuser, set the cooker for your desired temperature, pull the sliding damper all the way to the right, put in the 6 grill grates and cook away.

Yoder_Herb
February 14th, 2017, 12:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Yoder_Herb wrote:I would leave the door in the diffuser, set the cooker for your desired temperature, pull the sliding damper all the way to the right, put in the 6 grill grates and cook away.

So on the two-piece diffuser, max temperature isn't really an issue, Herb?

February 14th, 2017, 1:25 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

No. It has been tested to the cooker max temperature with no issues. I am still using the first original prototype that I received at the beginning of 2013, and have had no issues, and mine isn't build as sturdy as the new version that was released to customers.

Yoder_Herb
February 14th, 2017, 6:01 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Awesome! Thank you so much!

Return to Pellet