Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 17th, 2017, 5:27 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I am looking for anyone who may have some information about serving food smoked with pecan wood to someone with tree nut allergies. I have talked with the allergist and got the "not real sure, but better safe than sorry answer". I am Just hoping someone may have a more definitive answer on this subject.

Thanks.

January 17th, 2017, 6:30 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Twiegs - my son has a serious nut allergy and I have used Pecan pellets. I'm not a doctor or anything, but what I have found is that people are allergic to a protein contained within the meat part of the nut. This protein does not exist in the wood or leaves of the tree. So you can be around (for example) pecan or walnut wood, wood dust (sawdust), leaves, etc, and there are no concerns there. Only with the actual nut itself.

Let me know if you have any other questions, We have lived with this for almost 10 years now.

January 17th, 2017, 7:18 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I should have added - acorns are not considered an allergen. So if you are concerned and would rather avoid - oak has no risk, as well as the fruit woods, so you would still have plenty of good choices.

January 17th, 2017, 10:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I have the same issue with my daughter who is allergic to tree nuts. We have not had any issues and I use my Yoder all the time.

January 17th, 2017, 10:55 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

As always, the personal choice to try/test something is entirely at your own risk. I would not suppose to assume that any health information given here comes from a medical doctor, or if it did, would it be proper information without a medical doctor first examining/testing a patient.

Yoder_Herb
January 20th, 2017, 8:15 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks guys. Appreciate the posts. Yoder_herb, I completely understand your concern. I realize it is try at out own risk.

February 5th, 2018, 9:43 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I had a similar concern. My wife is allergic to Peanuts and all Tree Nuts.

I *suspect* that she's not allergic to tree wood smoke in the same way as tree nuts. as Networkx has said, from our lay experience, it seems to be proteins that cause the allergies.

I'm looking forward to trying Pecan/Cherry one day :)

Return to Pellet