Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 11th, 2017, 6:50 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I tried doing a search, but could not find an answer, so here it goes.

What type of wood pellets are available, or would you suggest using, to cook without imparting a smoke flavor? Is that possible?

Of course... Nothing against smoked flavors, but for instance, if using a pellet cooker for pizza or perhaps cornbread or some dessert of sorts, I think my family would like it to taste like pizza, cornbread or whatever dessert is being baked or cooked without infused hickory or mesquite.

January 11th, 2017, 7:03 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

You can't really cook without smoke on the cooker. I try to compliment the smoke with the meal. I personally feel oak and pecan provide the most subtle flavors but I think that's all a personal oppionon as well.

I will use apple or cherry with a desert... pecan with corn break... hickory with a BBQ chicken pizza... oak with a normal pizza... etc...

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
January 11th, 2017, 7:23 pm
* Wichita ** Wichita *

Hey Ricardo,
apple is pretty mild flavored but also remember that when cooking on high heat for a short period of time there is less smoked flavor. I cook my pizzas and love what little flavor it imparts and am usually using maple.

Also for deserts I find the smoke brings a little different complexity...honestly the two that I would stay away from are the two you mentioned as both can be a little on the harsh side.

Best way is trial and error...

January 11th, 2017, 8:10 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thank you. Great suggestions.

January 12th, 2017, 6:46 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Oak will be the mildest and most subtle.

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet