Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
January 6th, 2017, 7:00 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm a new YS640 owner and learning to listen to the experts at Yoder... the hard way.

I bought my pit New Years Eve and brought it back to frigid central IL New Years Day. I did my initial burn off as instructed and the temps looked awesome through the whole process. I did a quick cook the next day and had temps all over the place. I'm sure that was human error not a pit problem because I couldn't keep myself from opening the lid for fear of overshooting. Needless to say, I could never get the temps to stabilize. Therein lies hard lesson #1... trust the pit!

Tonight I decided to do what amounts to a second burn off to make sure it was me (I couldn't possibly have been a factor in messing things up, right?!). It 4F ambient... yes, 4! I started with a completely clean pit, set point at 350F in H2 and I'm committed to keep the lid closed through at least one hour.

Just after 20 minutes, I hit 350F. As expected, the pit overshot to 399F when I heard the thermostat click and we entered cool down. Temp climbed to 401F then started down to 350F when it went into maintain mode. It undershot just a little and now at about 40 minutes from start, it looks like I'm stabilizing right around 350F give or take a couple degrees either way. I presume that's DSP (dead solid perfect) for where it's supposed to run. Apparently it was me after all!

One "new" thing happened though. As the pellets we're getting ready to start, the fan sounds became deeper and slower than at startup. They stayed that way until about 257F then changed to what I would call "normal" based on my vast experience with this pit (sarcasm intended)! Since then, the fan sound has not changed a bit... still sounds like what it always has.

Here's the big question... is that normal?

January 6th, 2017, 7:05 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Yes, in cold weather the sleeve bearings in the fan can shrink and cause that sound. As you experienced, they normally come out of it when they warm up.

Yoder_Herb
January 6th, 2017, 7:09 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Return to Pellet