Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 7th, 2016, 10:19 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I'm new to the forum, and am reviewing the options to purchase a YS640. While it looks incredible, I don't think I need the competition cart. As far as other options, I'm looking for opinion/experience to drive my decision.

Temp Gauge - Do you find value with one in the door?. Is having 2 more beneficial than just one?

2 piece Heat Diffuser - Is the convenience of having the door to remove for grilling worth the cost? Maybe I'm answering my own question, but I expect to grill frequently.

Half Top Shelf. Is it a gotta have from the start, or can it wait for a later upgrade/purchase?

Probe Port - I consider this a must have.

SS Shelves - I assume I can get by on the bar steel shelves and upgrade later? I was also thinking that I could cover the bar stock with a nylon cutting board of the same size. They're available in colors, and clean up very easily.

Direct Grill Grates with tool - Definitely a must have

Thanks for any input you can provide.

December 7th, 2016, 11:15 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Temp Gauge - My gauges required a modification to get them reading accurate to upper grate but 1 would probably be good enough. I use them to monitor how the grill is doing when loaded with lots of meat. They are only accurate for the upper grate area.

2 piece Heat Diffuser - Is a must! I don't direct grill that much but use the door before every cook to empty the ash in the burn pot so the grill lights every time. You have to take out everything with the 1 piece diffuser...pain in butt to dump a little ash! Don't skimp on this one!

Half Top Shelf. Take it or leave it...depends on what your going to cook. If your cooking taller meats (turkeys and chickens) it can come in handy for cooking sides. I do mostly pork and beef long cooks so the full top shelf is used most of the time but I have used the half shelf a couple times. Sort of like having more tools in the tool box...you wont know till you need it.

Probe Port - very convenient. Mine are in use for most cooks

SS Shelves - I would actually like to have these but have been getting by with half and full baking sheets. The half sheet fits the side shelf perfectly and is really nice for holding things. and it can all be picked up and moved at once! the Full sheet is usually used up front and is nice for the drippy stuff. cutting boards would melt if they touched the grill...

Direct Grill Grates with tool - I don't use them that often but are nice when you need them. Most of my cooks are low and slow big meats so maybe somebody else can offer up info...

All in all an awesome grill! It has a lot to offer in the way of controlling how things are cooked. Remember it is not a gas grill! It needs the ash cleaned out of the burn pot so get the 2 piece diffuser!

December 8th, 2016, 8:22 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

M_C. I appreciate the input. You are spot on about the cutting boards. I own some vacation rental property, and seem to always be replacing melted cutting boards because people set hot pots down on them. I like your idea on the baking sheets. They're probably not that expensive, and easily replaceable. If they're not stainless, maybe a couple rare earth magnets glued to the shelves would keep them in place, especially when transferring meat onto them. I think you also talked me into the half shelf to cook sides at the same time. One of my favorites are grilled chicken wings using indirect heat (no grease flareups on a gas grill, but never a problem in a Yoder). I have these tall racks that hang 12 whole wings by the tips. Light coating of EVOO and a dry rub, and the outside gets a little crispy while the inside stays very tender as the fat slowly cooks right out of them. Now I need to schedule my order. Should have planned this in the summer, but excited that I'm moving in this direction.

December 8th, 2016, 2:13 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

There in now an integrated probe port on all new YS480 and YS640 cookers.

Yoder_Herb
December 10th, 2016, 12:25 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

from this morning. waiting on a brisket to get tender! The magnets are a great idea! Tiny ones strategically placed so they act like alignment pegs on the grill and legs on the counter

IMG_20161210_115543590.jpg

December 10th, 2016, 10:17 pm
sds
* Abilene ** Abilene *

I took delivery of my YS640 last Tuesday. Did the initial burn-in today. Don't laugh, but the first thing we cooked on it was a pan of cornbread in a cast iron pan. Came out great. Since I just dropped money on this product, here is my opinion:

Door thermometers-don't need them. Don't really care what they say. Read Yoder Herb's articles on grill temps, grill grate probes, etc. I just bought the finest pellet cooker on the market. I will not adjust the controller temps based on what anything tells me. I bought this grill because I wanted to set it and forget it. That is exactly what I intend to do. I trust Yoder.

Grill Grates-absolute must have. Makes the grill much more useful.

Probe ports-as Yoder Herb pointed out, now included on the YS 640. VERY pleased to see this. They are useful and necessary. Another example of Yoder continuing to improve their product.

Two piece diffuser plate-Did not get it. Probably will in the future. Can see where it would be useful.

Half shelf-got it. Will be worth the extra money.

Other things-you need good probe thermometers. We are trying to bring meats to a certain termperature. You must have good thermometers so you will know when you get there.

Visit AmazingRibs.com. Meathead Goldwyn has built an amazing site for all things barbecue. Great recipes and product reviews.

Read all you can, especially AmazingRibs.com. Grills are expensive. Meat is expensive. Learning is cheap, will make you a much better cook, and save you money in the long run. I have learned a LOT in just the past two weeks by spending a lot of time at AmazingRibs.com reading the articles.

If you pull the trigger, you may want to purchase from All Things Barbecue. I am in Covington, GA. A Yoder dealer in Chattanooga told me they had no 640s, and it would take 8 weeks to get one. Also told me that I would have to pay the $250 it cost to get the 640 shipped to them, and then pay shipping form them to me or pick it up in Chattanooga. Ordered online from All Things BBQ in Kansas on Tuesday night, grill arrived 7 days later by Fedex Frieght, who was awesome. $202 shipping. Total weight of package was about 475 pounds. Called them the morning after I placed the order to confirm their claimed 5-7 business day delivery, and found out that Don Carey, the same guy that owns Yoder Smokers, owns All Things BBQ. They are the real deal, and you will get a few little extras if you order from them. Very satisfied, very pleased all the way around. Best $1833 I have ever spent.

Spend the money. You won't regret it.

December 11th, 2016, 11:27 am
Site AdminSite Admin

If you want recopies and videos specifically done on Yoder cookers, the only place to see is: http://thesauce.atbbq.com/ where Chef Tom takes you through every step.

Yoder_Herb
December 11th, 2016, 11:03 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

Thanks to all for the input. Before I joined the Yoder forum, I was doing some comparative research on pellet smokers on other forums. What I've observed is that pellet smokers are kind of like pickup trucks. No matter what brand you own, you love driving it. That being said, the general consensus is that the YS640 is one of the top 3 pellet smokers available, and its #1 on my list. As soon as I can get beyond some personal holiday travel, I have a business trip to Oklahoma City, less than 3 hours from the Yoder plant. Schedule permitting, I would love to drive up and see how they're made. I plan to order mine before the end of January.

December 11th, 2016, 11:04 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

One more thing. Thanks, Herb, for all the wealth of information you provide.

December 12th, 2016, 9:17 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

If you can't get scheduled into the factory I would recommend going to All Things BBQ in Wichita and they can show you these cookers and fire one up on their patio to show you how it works.

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
December 12th, 2016, 7:25 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

Yea, the store would be awesome to see, they have them all set and the folks that really know the product. BTW, I bought mine sight unseen shipped to me on a pallet. Did a TON of internet and forum searching. Built like a tank and as heavy as one. Been golden., wonderful smoker. I have had it a bit over 3 years. My first real smoker besides a Masterbuilt 30" analog. It was a big jump for me, been very happy. :D

Return to Pellet