Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
December 4th, 2016, 10:53 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

optioning up a new 640 and will definitely be getting the two piece diffuser and at least one set of grill grates for direct grilling. is there any need to get a second set of grates to cover the whole lower grilling surface or is more than the one kit overkill?

also what is the best cover people have found on amazon or elsewhere? the OEM cover seems a bit delicate.

December 5th, 2016, 8:39 am
* Wichita ** Wichita *

One set is plenty in my opinion. I've grilled burgers and brats for 30+ on one set. Start on grill grates and get a good sear then move to standard grates to finish while you sear the next batch.

The yoder cover is not delicate. In fact it's heavier then the covers I have had on my Weber and others. My only complaint with the oem cover is how it snaps to hold it to the cooker. I added some tie downs to my cover and couldn't be happier. If you search my posts you'll see my comments on the tie downs, works great!

Happy smoking!

Wichita, KS!
New to pellet grilling/smoking

YS-640 ON ORANGE COMP CART
December 5th, 2016, 7:55 pm
* Kingman ** Kingman *

One set will do half the smoker. The grates actually are only useful in a 12" or so spot about 4" or so from the left and not fully to the back and front edge. What I mean is the area for really hot searing is directly where the amazing flame from the burn pot hits the grill grates directly. It's enough room to really hot sear two big ribeyes but not enough IMHO for two big porterhouse steaks.

I have started to use the grates upside down for the sear, more meat in direct contact with the grill grates at 600f+ so more mallard reaction. Takes just a min on each side if that. I use the reverse sear method, for a 1.5" thick ribeye, I cook on the left side with the grates set up and the smoker on max temp. When they hit 110f on the cool side, I move them to the grill grates and sear both sides for a min. I like med rare to rare.

December 9th, 2016, 12:42 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

cool. thanks for the input guys. cheers!

Return to Pellet