Discuss, share information, ask questions, and show off your expertise on Yoder Pellet Cookers.

Click the links below to go directly to available resources:
**Pellet cookers** - YS480, YS640
**Competition Pellet cookers** - YS480 Comp, YS640 Comp, YS1500 Comp, Cimarron Comp
**Pellet Cooker Warranty**
November 23rd, 2016, 11:44 am
* Abilene ** Abilene *

hello all,
I am very new to the pellet /smoker community, and I am looking to purchase a smoker/grill that would best suit my needs. I am leaning toward the yoder but I have a couple of questions that I hope the community can assist me with.

I am a gas griller. I have had a very nice ,all stainless grill that I have used for many years, and that is what I am used to. I want to broaden my cooking horizons, so I am looking at these units. I really like the yoders new diffuser plate that allows very easy access for direct grilling. right now, I feel that that is important to me, but it may turn out that I am very happy to indirect cook all my food .

my questions are:

yoder has a very high quality product. why chrome grilling grates? my understanding is that stainless provides the best, longest lasting, cooking surface. are both the top and bottom grates chrome or just the bottom?

also, I read here that the chimney can be used to place temp probes instead of a access port, but I was told by someone at yoder never to do that, so now im confused.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences. thanks very much in advance

November 23rd, 2016, 12:11 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Once the grates are seasoned, it doesn't matter what material they are made from. The lower grates are chrome, the upper shelf grate is made from bare steel and expanded metal. Again, once properly seasoned, the grates will perform without issue.

The new YS640 and YS480 now come with an integrated probe port. There are no issues with running the probes into the cooker through the chimney, if you choose to not use the integrated probe port.

Yoder_Herb
November 23rd, 2016, 3:08 pm
* Abilene ** Abilene *

thanks Herb,
the local dealer does not have ys640 comp cart with probe ports. that would need to be special ordered and I wouldn't want to wait if I could just use the chimney.
also, I was told that I could purchase stainless steel grates, but I forgot to ask if yoder sells them for both top and bottom. do you know?

November 23rd, 2016, 3:36 pm
Site AdminSite Admin

Call 877.409.6337, ext 1

Yoder_Herb

Return to Pellet